Thread: Windows 8 error "The partition contains one or more dynamic volumes that are not supported for installation"

Windows 8 error "The partition contains one or more dynamic volumes that are not supported for installation"

I have been trying to install windows 8 consumer preview in my system and making it dual boot with windows 7 but when I am selecting the partition in which I want to install it then I am getting an error message saying "The partition contains one or more dynamic volumes that are not supported for installation". I don’t know what’s the issue all about, is there anyone who can help me out installing it successfully?

Re: Windows 8 error "The partition contains one or more dynamic volumes that are not supported for installation"

If you want then you can try using below software:
    “Free Partition Magic alternative. Free Partition Manager Software for Windows 7/VISTA/XP/2000 and Windows Server 2003/2008/2000.”
    It will help you out in converting D partition from Logical to Primary. Just make sure that you are backing all the data as it will get deleted by software during conversion.

Re: Windows 8 error "The partition contains one or more dynamic volumes that are not supported for installation"

Just make sure that you are not missing anything from below steps:
    1. Start Windows 7 and login as administrator if you don’t have a Partition to Install Windows 8 then you can open computer management > Disk management, right click on drive from which you can create new partition and click on shrink.
    2. Once your drive gets shrink you will get a new partition naming “unallocated” it will appear black, you should have at least 20GB (20480MB) (1GB=1024MB) in unallocated space for installing Windows 8.
    3. Now insert your Windows 8 installation DVD or USB thumb drive, restart your computer and boot from it.
    4. After booting from disk you can select your unallocated space in “Where do you want to install windows?” Window and proceed with the installation process further.

You can try installing Windows 8 from within Windows 7:
    1. You have to create “unallocated space” in sane way as mentioned above, I will suggest you to choose 40 gb rather than 20 gb. 20 gb is minimum but if you will be installing applications further than you will need more space.
    2. Once unallocated space gets created, install program like 7-Zip, right click on Windows 8 ISO file, select 7-Zip and Extract its files. You should extract ISO file to folder named WindowsDeveloperPreview.
    3. Now open WindowsDeveloperPreview folder, open sources > setup.exe and double click on it.
    4. In next window click on go online to get the latest updates for installation option, select your unallocated space in “Where do you want to install windows?” Window and follow the instruction further for installing windows 8.

Guys it worked, actually I had followed same solution but after creating unallocated space I was right clicking on it and was following the procedure for creating simple volume. That’s where I was getting that error message but now I have tried following the solution that you have mentioned and I was able to install windows 8 without any error.