Thread: Unable to install other OS after installing Windows 8

Unable to install other OS after installing Windows 8

I have installed Windows 8 in my computer and after installing Windows 8, my computer isn’t accepting any other operating system in it. I am trying to install Red Hat Linux and it is not getting installed. Can someone tell me why it is happening?

Re: Unable to install other OS after installing Windows 8

Windows 8 uses secure boot system. This secure boot system uses Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) system. Because of this, after installing Windows 8, you can only install the operating systems that have digital signature on it. If the Red Hat Linux that you are trying to install on your computer doesn’t have appropriate digital signature, then it can’t be installed in your computer. You can wait for few days as Linux providers are sorting out ways to make their operating systems compatible with UEFI built of Windows 8. Fedora is paying $99 to Verisign to get their operating system digitally signed to make it work along with Windows 8.

Ubuntu has also started taking steps to get there operating system to work along with Windows 8. They have been issuing certificates to there operating system in order to make it work in computers with UEFI built. But the problem is that with certified version of Ubuntu, it will provide restricted access to the system. I think this will be of great disadvantage for the users. Also it will provide less number of options as compared to the uncertified version.

Go into the BIOS and see if there is an option to turn UEFI off. Do so, install Linux and then have 8 as a Virtual machine. Or have Linux as a virtual machine inside 8. If you turn it off and try to boot into Windows it probably won't happen so a virtual machine is the way to go.

Alternatively you could probably split your hard drive in two and install Linux one one partition, Windows on another but not as a dual boot machine but manually select which OS to boot into. (so your boot option in Linux will need to specify the partition you have Linux in.

The other option is to have a couple of removable drive bays with identical HDDs in them.. (Not essential but it means you don't constantly have to specify which drive to boot from) and just swap them over as needed. If your case has room that is. You still may find you need to alter the UEFI settings when switching systems.