Thread: What Ubuntu 12.10 offers in comparison to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

What Ubuntu 12.10 offers in comparison to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 12.04 recently. I skipped Mint as it was not having great features. In a rss update I found info on Ubuntu 12.10. I want to know what does it offers. Is it better to upgrade from 12.04 to 12.10 directly. If yes then how to do that.

I just need to find the exact different among these two operating systems. Thank you.

Re: What Ubuntu 12.10 offers in comparison to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

I was not aware about Ubuntu 12.10 update. Linux Mint 13 is the most recent open source operating system. It comes with new desktop which is Mate and Cinnamon.I upgraded for Ubuntu to Mint, but never checked that update.

It is called as Quantal Quetzal. There were Alpha 3 edition released for 64bit and 32bit operating system. The difference lies in the desktop used in Ubuntu. You might be aware that Ubuntu adopted Unity desktop in its editions. Unity 2D is removed from the same. This time it is possible to run 3D effects also. This was not provided in the 12.04 edition. If you want a bit eye popping effects then you upgrade to Unity 3D. You need a bit good hardware to run the graphic effects. Or else the response will be poor. With the help of OpenGL support you can assume to have a good graphic interface. In earlier version of Ubuntu which was 10, I had seen those effects. You make your desktop look far more better this time.

If you do not need this graphical effect then you stick with 12.04 which is quiet enough. It works same like other edition, but does not provide you better graphical output. If you need a much better interface then you can also check for Mint Cinnamon Edition. This is entirely different and far more better. You can download them all and create a live bootable disc to test the same. Remember that the download size lie higher than 700MB. It is better if you make a bootable dvd or simply use usb drive for the same. Below is the download link of Quantal . You can try the same if you want. Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Download Link

Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal is not at all recommended for slow computer. It has better graphics so it is recommended for high end system. If you have a slow computer then avoid installing it.

The new edition is a bit more updated one and if you have a system higher than Core 2 Duo with 2GB ram and a bit integrated video memory then it will work properly. This updated version of operating system provides you Linux Kernel 3.5. You do not need to update the kernal. It has installed LibreOffice 3.6.2 RC edition which is not provided in the older one.

Also you will get Firefox 15 Beta and GNOME 3.5.4. This all things are not provided and you have to update the same manually. Ubuntu 12.10 is nice with better enhancement this time. I was using 12.04. I was a bit shocked to find no graphical effect which last time I had saw on Ubuntu 10. I tried to hook up different desktop but that does not worked. I found this one as much lighter and better edition. I will recommend you to update that. If you want you can check the system requirement of the same.

It is not high at all. There are number of fresh enhancement in it. You can see entirely a new and more clean interface. It will make your job much more easier. I am using Ubuntu from long time, but I found this edition as stable and nice. I had also tested Mint, it is too basic. I freezes even if you change the desktop wallpaper. It is not stable due to numerous issues.

Linux Mint is recommended for performance. If you want a computer only for working then you must check for Mint. Or else for decorative stuff Ubuntu LTS 12.10 is better. There are number of things you can do in that.

Ubuntu 12.10 LTS Alpha 3 Edition is available for download with some additions. There are number of things which are changed and removed. It comes with a new interface for Software Sources. The file manager Nautilus is a bit changed and enhanced. There are certain theming work done in the same making it far more better. Thanks to the new Gnome edition used in it. There are quiet number of improvements that you have to see on your own.

I found this new OS much better and clear. I was wondering whether there is any other upcoming version pending to release. This will make my work easier. I would jump directly to that. I think upgrade will do the job. If you are still on the older edition then simply run Software Manager and check for updates. It will show you any recent stuff if available. Run the same and you are done. It is not at all complicated to handle different issue in it. I had tested this a number of time and it worked. Because of latest kernal update a quiet high number of hardware works more better. You can utilize better graphics this time. As Ubuntu has always face a issue with gpu configuration.

It is better to install from scratch instead of running update. I had never found a stable version whenever I upgrade my OS. Like I was using Mint Mate and installed Cinnamon on it. It doesn't worked well. While when I installed Mint Cinnamon from scratch through DVD everything is still working fine.

That is right, when you upgrade or simply add up some additional feature the configuration settings are affected. I did exactly the same. I installed Cinnamon on Mate and found that all keyboard controls are lost. It is quiet irritating. I am switching back to Ubuntu this time and it is good to find Ubuntu 12.10. It is quiet better to download as everything is packed inside 800MB iso image file.

I just wasted my time in downloading the 12.04 version but didn't installed yet. I hope to get better support from 12.10.