Thread: Tweaking Ice Cream Sandwich for better Performance

Tweaking Ice Cream Sandwich for better Performance

I need some help to tweak Ice Cream Sandwich. I won a Android tablet pc with me. It is too slow and sometime it get heated while using. I had downloaded Advance Task Killer from Google Play. After installation I found there are number of services that are running in the background. They download updates on regular interval. I need some help to tweak that and make my tablet a bit more faster.

Re: Tweaking Ice Cream Sandwich for better Performance

Avoidance Task Killer has a option by which you can automatically kill a task. You just need to enable that options and done. Go the settings. The icon will be located to the right end. Tap on that. You can add tick on the app that you want to close and click on kill selected.

I can provide you some tips. First go in the menu and remove all those applications that you do not need. Simple choose the app icon and drag it to the top side. You will see a uninstall option. Once the icon is drag to that place, the uninstallation will begin. In this way remove everything that you do not really required. The second thing is to go on the desktop and deleting app icon from there. Do the same thing. Choose one and then drag them to the top side. Now you have to disable Live Wallpapers if you have any. Keep checking Advance Task Killer. You can set a time interval to kill apps in that.

After that time interval, Advance Task Killer will work automatically to terminate something. It works best and it is easy to operate. There are number of tools on web that you can go for. Download tweaking software, booster, type apps that can help you to gain performance. Turn of Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, etc services. Use them only when needed. Do not surf or use your tablet at the time of charging. Turn off the tablet when you are not using it.

Go to Settings > Apps > All. In that you can find a number of application which are not needed. Do not touch anything which is related to Android. Disable apps like Google Search, Gmail, Maps, etc. They consume a bit amount of resources from the back end.

There are no tweaking apps we can find on web. If there would be any I must have deleted a number of things from my Android ICS tablet. Somehow I hate those apps which collect regular updates. This increase the requirement of ICS on hardware basis. Somehow the interface is quiet nice and smoother. If we get rid of unnecessary stuff then we can make this tablet more better. As per my experience I had notice that ICS needs a bit higher hardware along with graphic memory. Customization option provided in this is very limited. Whatever changes mentioned are listed under Settings only.

There is no other way to disable things from the tablet. The most annoying is updates. They keep working and occupy your RAM. In budget tablet range, Funbook Pro is one of the best you can go for. This tablet has a gpu, 1Gb ram and nice Cortex cpu. This processor is used in many ultra portable running Windows 7. I am trying to find a easy way to install Linux. If this work I will remove Android.

Reduce the brightness, disable the screen orientation sensor, etc stuff. This all things can help you to save some battery. There is one more thing you can do. When you install anything, the icons are created automatically. You can disable that through Google Play > Settings > and remove tick from Auto-Add Shortcut.

There are very little settings provided for ICS. When you run any app that appear on the right menu. This is the list where you can see recent apps or running apps. The listing offer you to run those things which are used recently. You can simply use this panel to close apps easily. Another thing you can do is get rid of lock screen. This screen is not resource intensive but enough better to save some power. For that go to Settings > Screen Lock > Select none. Through this your screen will stay active every time. If you are using this for your personal purpose then removing the lock is better.

Do not add any Live Wallpaper. The lighter the widget are on desktop the faster will be response. Whenever I install something new, I remove the old ones. This makes the tablet more responsive. Use only one browser at a time. When you are downloading anything from Google Play, do not run any app in the background. There are certain boosters that you can download from Google Play. But remember that they can force your tablet cpu to perform faster.

I was thinking that Google will optimize Gingerbread instead to make it more comfortable in usage. But they developed a entirely new interface. Till yet according to me Gingerbread is the most stable operating system.

ICS comes with a number of notification apps and usage meter. This makes it a bit heavy in performance. There are no way you can remove them. I tried to find a rooted version on web through which I will install on those which are needed. ICS is a cool operating system but a bit heavy for Tablet. Whenever I run any game like Fifa it became a bit more bulkier in operation.

Somehow you must stick with decent flash type games. They work nicely. But if you put a bit pressure on the tablet by running multiple process it perform poorly.

Usually the tablets which we purchase runs on single core cpu. While operating system like Android ICS needs multi-core. It may support multi-tasking, but there is no enough processing power in that that you can utilize.