Thread: Windows Server shared drive unaccessible on Linux Mint

Windows Server shared drive unaccessible on Linux Mint

There is a bit weird issue that I am facing on my system. I have Linux Mint operating system. I had connected the same on Windows Server. I have 10Gb shared space on the server which appears automatically in My Computer. This drive is auto mapped. On Linux Mint when I try to login on the same it does not detected. It says cannot open the shared folder. What should I do know.

Re: Windows Server shared drive unaccessible on Linux Mint

It looks issue with Samba. Try to re-install the same. You can do that from terminal. If you try to re-install that through Software Manager then you might face issue in setup. But through Terminal it is possible to install it more better way. Just type -- sudo apt-get install samba smbfs

I also this this is a Samba issue. I had faced the same issue last week. I have a similar shared folder on Windows network. I just have to browse the network and find the shared folder. When I double click the same the folders open up asking me keyring and login access. But this was not working at all. The system is not detecting the server and its login credentials. Later on I removed Samba and re-installed the same back again. It worked well without any issue.

It is possible to edit Samba by modifying the gedit by adding and removing the users. Ensure that the server is on. Another important thing there are possibilities of having expired password issue. Somehow this are the settings done in the Windows server. The password expires in two week. So try to reset your password and then try to re-login with that new one. I hope it will work. If still you are not tablet to access then you have to play with Workgroup settings of Linux Mint network.

The issue lies with the password. You have to reset your existing password and then check the same back. Try to reset the password through active directory and then try to re-login. You have to reboot your system once for that.

Try resetting the password. That might help you. Because I had seen there is number of issue at the time of connection. It is not at all complicated to configure. First of all if there is server configure on your lan then that will be reflected automatically in Network Places. When you open that up in that you can locate the name of server. Double click on that. The first time configuration ask you add a keyring. You must not make any mistake in configuration of the same. Then you have to add your login credential and click on remember forever. That's all you can locate your shared files.

This is much easier to use. You can simply copy paste the files between your drives and shared drive. It will be mounted automatically on the desktop. If still you are not able to access or you are facing any login credential errors then it means there is some issue with your login details. Compared to Windows, Linux pc do not need to generate a unique network id mostly. It works well enough.

Is there any utility for that. Some kind of apps through which we can connect to Windows Server more easily. I need some help for the same. I am trying to locate a tool that can help me to add-in the details and connect to the server easily.

I think you can work with mapping a network drive. That would be a quiet helpful. This process is same as mounting a drive location on yoru desktop and remains present all the time. To some extent there is no intact utility available for the same. You have to do that manually and have to deal with existing options only. I also tried to locate some similar options inside Software Manager, but there is nothing mentioned. What I can locate mostly is a option to use the shared resources on Remote Desktop connectivity. It would be far better to configure the same through manual way.

I can provide you the terminal command. for that simply type the following in terminal - sudo mkdir /sharefolder. Now once you are done then simply type smbclient -L //IP.Address.of.Server. Now you have to mount the folder from here. The command for that is sudo mount -t cifs -o username=typeusername //IP.Address.of.Server/addthepathofsharedfolder. Hit enter and done. This is just the temporary solution. Once you reboot the mount folder will disappear.

That is a fine solution, but it is better if we can get some permanent solution the same. In Ubuntu Samba is the only way by which we can get connected to shared sources. There is no other option available other than it.

It looks that you are not making a proper configuration because of which you are not able to locate the right shared space. Here is a manual method you can go for. First open Network Places click on File > Connect to Server. From the box click the drop down arrow next to Service Type > Windows Share. Type the name of server in Server box, share information, give the path of folder which is shared and then type username and domain name. Once done you can tick on Bookmark to make the connection status saved. That's all. Once it is connected you are done with the configuration.

That is the right way. I was just able to configure the shared folder on the same. It looks that there are quiet less utility available for Linux Mint to configure the shared Windows resources.