Thread: Tweaking Folder Options in Windows 7

Tweaking Folder Options in Windows 7

I just installed Windows 7 on my personal computer and I have started using it I have used Windows XP for a long time and I think the Windows explorer of Windows 7 is very much different from that in Windows XP. If anybody who is a regular user of Windows 7, can he/she tell me how to tweak the folder options for Windows 7 to make it easier to use?

Re: Tweaking Folder Options in Windows 7

The first thing that you will find different in the Windows Explorer of Windows 7 is the folder options which are not easily available. In Windows XP, clicking on the tab on the top of the windows would give option for tweaking the folders in the Window. But here in Windows 7, it is not seen directly or maybe we can see that some things have been changed. You can find the Folder Options in the Control Panel from the Start. Another place where you will find the Folder Options is in the Organize tab on the top panel. When you click on the top panel, a menu will come down where you will find option for ‘Folder and search options’.

You can also search the folder options in the search bar which we get on clicking the Start button. You just have to type ‘folder options’ and you will find the folder options on top of the list. This is how you can find the folder options in Windows 7. Also the tab in Windows XP which had options like ‘File’, ‘Edit’ and so on is present in Windows 7 too. The only thing is that we are not able to see it as it is hidden by default. Whenever in any window, you just have to press Alt key to reveal the menu bar on the top of the screen. From the Tool there, you can access the Folder options as you did in Windows XP.

There is a second tab in the folder options window which you can use to change the view in which the folders can be found. Many times you will see that when you fill a folder with pictures or maybe videos, the icon of the folder turns into small gallery of thumbnails of inner content. This becomes irritating sometimes. You will find an option which says, ‘Always show icons, never thumbnails’. This can be enabled to have logo of the folder instead of gallery of thumbnails. You can use this part of folder option to set the folders to hidden and also visible. Sometimes for maintaining the privacy of our data, we hide the folders. These hidden folders can be made visible by use of this option. We can also hide and unhide the extensions of the files. Having the extensions exposed, renaming the file becomes difficult as we have to manually name it.

The search tab in the folder options will let you search files and folder by typing the name in it. There are many more options that are available in the folder options. You can explore those options for yourself as not every of them are used. You can make use of these options to make the experience of using Windows 7 easier and much more comfortable.