Thread: Plymouth Manager not working in Linux Mint

Plymouth Manager not working in Linux Mint

To customize Mint default desktop I had installed Plymouth Manager. First of it was complicated to load the download. When I try to install that through sudo apt-get every time I got error that package not available. At end I downloaded that manually. I got a .deb package which I installed and it worked fine. But it did not provide me any option to change splash screen. What should I do.

Re: Plymouth Manager not working in Linux Mint

It looks that it is not at all compatible with Linux Mint. I am using this Ubuntu and the same worked very well. I found it easy to configure a number of options on Ubuntu. It can be due to some desktop issue. Try that on Gnome Classic session.

Plymouth Manager help you to modify the bootscreen of Mint. As Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu then this must surely work. Did you tried to reboot your system once after installation. I face the same issue. After installation I opened up the same to add some themes. When I click on install nothing happenend. It did not repsonded at all. I also tried to add some themes from Software Manager. But that also did not worked well.

I hope this would be fixed and we get a better version of Plymouth on Linux Mint. While there are number of things you can do with splash screen. I found another way to add theme. You have to do through terminal. For that first type su and add your admin logins. Then pass the following command -- /usr/sbin/plymouth-set-default-theme --list. With this you can see the list of themes installed. Now to apply a theme type the following -- /usr/sbin/plymouth-set-default-theme nameoftheme. Hit enter and done. This works quiet nicely and I had not face any error in this. I think Plymouth is far better to use on Ubuntu instead of Mint.

I was trying the same. Then I gave up and re-installed Linux Mint with Cinnamon desktop. Cinnamon itself is a awesome operating system with nice appearance. I hope you do not need any kind of theme tool for it.

There is one more best options available to modify Linux Mint Splash Screen. For that you have to download and install Startup Manager. Click on the below link to visit the download site. On the right side you can see a small green install button. Click on that the download and installation will begin. Now once everything is done go to Menu. In the search box you can type Startup Manager or simply you can find the app under Administration Menu. Launch it. Click on Boot Options and then checkmark on Show boot Splash. Then go ton Appearance tab and there you can find options to manage usplash themes. From there you can choose the theme you want and configure the same on boot.

This is best alternative in place of Plymouth Manager. You must install it properly. The package is not available in Software Manger and that is why you have to download and install that manually. The process works in automated way and you do not need to do anything in that. If you face any further error then try to simply re-install it.

I am facing a issue after installation Plymouth Manager. I cannot see any themes to be installed. It does not respond on any click. Second in Software Manager I had searched for Plymouth theme and whatever I found I had installed. But that also is not working. So it looks Mate has certain issue with Plymouth.

Even I agree with the same. Plymouth does not work well on Mint. I also cannot locate the login splash themes. I had tried to find at number of places. Compared to that if we do this customization things in Ubuntu then everything works well. There is no issue related to installation and configuration. I hope Mint will get some better desktop manager that can do our job more easily. I am willing to make major changes in the splash screen, but nothing worked out here much. I am planing to go back to Ubuntu 12.04.

That would be better according to me. Because I can do a number of things in that. I just need to overwrite my operating system and my job is done. As Mint is also based on Ubuntu but it lack support for theming stuff. There are very limited things we do. We can change wallpapers or simply modify the fonts. I cannot add stuff in it. I tried a number of third party tools but they did not provided any better support.

Startup Manager is associated with Plymouth installation. If you did not have installed Startup Manager then you might face the issue. So first get Startup Manager and then go with terminal way of installing Plymouth. The process which his mentioned in third post. It would help.

Startup Manager is not used for modifying the splash screen. It make changes to grub loader. I had tried this but this is not at a good idea. If Plymouth manager is not working just skip the process. Any changes you made might affect the system boot. Linux Mint lacks good splash screens setup. But on the same hand it is possible to make usplash themes. You just have to find the right settings. Somehow I had tried to use Plymouth but the same did not responded well. So it looks that this thing lack support for Mint.

You must not try to use this forcefully or your system can screwed up. There are chances if due to improper settings you might not see anything on load. It is better to skip to the latest version of Ubuntu to find the best possible theme support. Ubuntu is far more customization compared to Linux Mint. I am using Mint from last 2 months and never see any boot screen yet. So this looks issue with configuration only.

That can be correct to some extent. Mint is a awesome os mainly designed to give you performance. There are number of services that skipped from this. It is recommended that you must stick with default options instead of playing with any existing settings.