Thread: My iMac freezes after upgrading to Mountain Lion

My iMac freezes after upgrading to Mountain Lion

I have installed Mountain Lion on my iMac last night and I dint worked on my iMac at that time. Since today morning after starting the computer I have found my iMac getting freeze a couple of times, I don’t know what is causing the same. I did not had any issue while using osx lion previously. Is there anything that I need to check out? Any ideas ?

Re: My iMac freezes after upgrading to Mountain Lion

I wanted to know if freezing occurs for a specific task or it occurs surprisingly while carrying out any task. Are you running too many applications in the background? If yes then try closing them and see if the issue is getting solved. I am not sure but I think that there might be some application in your system that might be sucking up your ram tending your system to get freeze.

Juts check out what I have suggested and let me know if the issue persists after that.

Now I have tried reducing the applications running in the background to minimal and I am still encountering sudden freezing. osx lion was quite stable as compared to Mountain Lion, I hardy faced any issues like that. I don’t think it is because of any application as all applications appear to be working finer before freeze. When my system freezes I am not able to get it work again after waiting for a minutes, rather I have to shut it down and turn it on again.

I have just now gone through some other forums where some people have raised same issue but I haven’t come across any effective solution yet. If anyone finds any workaround that I can try out for fixing this freezing issue then do share it here, it will be very grateful.

Even my macbook is getting frozen randomly since installing Mountain Lion, I agree to your point that osx lion was quite stable as compared to Mountain Lion. I really had good experience with osx lion and expected better with Mountain Lion but now after using it I am quite disappointed with it. This sudden freezing is what I hate the most while using my macbook as all my tasks gets froze and I have to shut it down, restart it and start all the task again. I have come across some many people raising the same issue in apple support but I haven’t come across any of their officials responding on it. I think that we will need an update from apple to get it fixed.

Guys, freezing can occur due to overheating of cpu and gpu as well, I wanted to share that I was facing exactly the same issue a week ago and was quite disappointed, Later while going through a number of trouble shooting from all over the web I found that it was because of overheated gpu in my case. My gpu was getting overheated and since I did not had any software installed to keep track of the temperature I wasn’t aware of it. Now I have installed iMac-Fan-Control and I keep track of my gpu temperature and manage the fan speed accordingly.

I think you were right, I have just inspected the temperature of my iMac gpu and it is appearing to be getting overheated. I have installed iMac-Fan-Control and i am now keeping an eye on its temperature. It seems as if Mountain Lion resource hungry, my gpu never got heated up to 80 degrees while I was running osx lion. I used to play games for quite long hours as well but things were fine. Even though I am trying to control my gpu temperature for now somehow I think apple should surely come up with an update to fix this.

Yes apple should fix it immediately, even I have installed Mountain Lion on my Macbook Pro and since then I have been facing overheating and freezing issue. I dint knew that Mountain Lion will be so resource hungry, I am still running osx lion on my old iMac and I am not having any freezing and overheating issue there. I am seriously waiting for apple to address this issue soon and come up with a fix as soon as possible.