Thread: is it possible to disable windows 8 desktop experience to kill metro

is it possible to disable windows 8 desktop experience to kill metro

I have installed windows 8 consumer preview in my system and I just wanted to know if there is an option for disabling Desktop Experience like it was there in Desktop Experience. I have checked about the same in window 8 but I haven’t come across it, since I am new to window 7 I don’t have much idea about it so is there anyone who can let me know if it is possible or not. If yes then how, any help regarding this will be appreciated.

Re: is it possible to disable windows 8 desktop experience to kill metro

As far as I am aware there is no desktop experience option in windows 7 nor it is in windows 7, windows xp or Vista, it was just there in 2003 and 2008/R2/2012. Anyways I wanted to know why are you willing to kill metro?

I mean if looks good. If you want then you can install latest version of classic shell which will help you in go directly to the desktop. Many people have started using the same for killing metro start window.

First off all I wanted to know if you are willing to kill metro or just the Metro start menu. If you want to kill Metro start menu then you can try using latest version of classic shell as mentioned above. If you want to kill metro then you can use” Metro disabler” I have used the same and it works fine without any issue.

I don’t know why people are willing to kill metro or the Metro start menu? I am meant by doing that they are just killing windows 8 for what it is being different as compared to windows 7. I agree that there has been quite number of changes in windows 8 but metro is the major one. I really don’t see any point in disabling it. I would rather stick to windows 7 if I want to use windows 8 without metro.

You can follow the below simple steps for disabling Metro interface in Windows 8 Consumer Preview:

First run regedit and navigate to the below registry:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
    Now double-click on RPEnabled key in the right pane and change its value from 1 to 0. P.S. When you are done with the changes then save the same and perform log off and log in. You will be see aero interface with some visual changes.

There won’t be major difference in the actual resource usage and some functionality like Task Manager; Office 2010 like Explorer will be lost. So if you don’t have any issue with those things than you can very well try that out.

You can disable the start screen on Windows 8 Consumer Preview? By following the below steps as well:
    1. Open Notepad and copy the below text for creating an Explorer script file in order to launch the desktop.
      [Shell]
      Command=2
      IconFile=Explorer.exe,3
      [Taskbar]
      Command=ToggleDesktop
    2. You will have to save the file as launchdesktop.scf to a specific location, once you are ready with the script then Launch Windows Task Scheduler and Select Task Scheduler Library.
    3. After that Right click in right pane and make the below changes-
    4. Click on General tab and select Create New Task and enter a name like launchdesktop or one you desire.
    5. Click on trigger tab, click on new and select at log on" from the Begin Task list.
    6. Click on action tab, click on new and select "Start a program" from the Action menu, and just make sure that you are entering the full path of launchdesktop.scf in Program/script field.
    7. Click on conditions tab and check "Stop if the computer switches to battery power" or “Start the task only if the computer is on AC” accordingly.

When you are done with the above changes then click ok and close the Task Manager. So from now whenever you will log in the desktop will get launched quickly after Metro screen.