Thread: Installing new OS from download while in Safe Mode

Installing new OS from download while in Safe Mode

Hello everybody,

I'm new to this forum, but need some help with a computer-build my son is doing. He got himself a whole new system, but running on old hard drives, with old XP. The new elements are 64-bit, and do not support XP.
    He can run the computer in Safe Mode only.
    We have found that we can purchase Windows 7 64-bit as a download online
    The question is, how do we handle the install on this (somewhat) disabled computer?

Thanks in advance for any help.....

Re: Installing new OS from download while in Safe Mode

What is the computer specifications that your son has bought newly? I wonder, why it will install only 64-bit OS'es, because any system whether high end or low end has the capability of running a 32-bit OS as well. So, what you can do is download the retail version of Windows 7 from microsoft and then burn it on a disc, also you will have to use the serial key that will be given to you for registering your product.

This is what the kid has to say.....

I have XP service pack 2 32bit and I think the problem is that the OS is too old. It cannot read the driver disk,but when I put it into another computer it reads just fine. And do note, the dvd-rom works and I think that the OS is the only problem. Before it goes to the XP loading screen it gives a message:

Asmedia 106x SATA Controller Ver 0.90 AMCI Mode
    Copyright (C) Asmedia Technologies, Inc, All Right reserved.
    Using PCIE Gen 2
    Can't find any device

I'm not sure if that has to do with anything but it is better to be safe than sorry. After that it goes to the XP loading screen, and then it blue screens.

Well, I think that you need a driver for Asmedia 106x SATA Controller and then only it will be able to detect this thing. Also, you can download a tool called CPUz to find out all the rest of the computer specifications, simply post the details here so that we can find out what kind of drivers does it needs.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

We tried to install the drivers from a USB drive (as the CD doesn't work), but it wasn't recognized. Maybe because the system is running in Safe Mode?

Anywho, here are the components:

Motherboard:
    ASRock 960GM/U3S3
    Processor:
    AMD FX 4100
    Graphics Card:
    Nvidia 550ti
    RAM:
    G.Skill Ares 8
    WiFi Adapter:
    Roswill 300 Mbps USB
    Power Supply:
    Thermaltake 600W
    Hard Drives:
    Western Digital 160 gb
    Western Digital 320 gb
    Seagate 160 gb

Quote Originally Posted by raijoh View Post
    We tried to install the drivers from a USB drive (as the CD doesn't work), but it wasn't recognized. Maybe because the system is running in Safe Mode?
    I think that your computer is trying to detect something which isnt connected at all on the board, you can try to de-activate the asmedia controller from the bios or just change the forced bios to keep current. You said that you were getting a blue screen, so does it also show any kind of error messages on the screen?

There's a bunch of numbers, and then a message that says "you need to update to the latest drivers for your BIOS".....

Well, you could try installing the drivers from the cd/dvd that you should have got with the motherboard, install drivers in this following ways, first install - chipset drivers, then sound drivers, then install the ethernet driver and then download latest nvidia graphics card driver and install it. You can even get the latest driver for all the above mentioned from here.

So far, we have not been able to access the CD with the drivers. Other discs yes, but not that disc. Putting the drivers on a USB didn't work either. Cannot be accessed.
    The computer was pulled apart, and then re-assembled to see if anything was simply installed incorrectly, and now it only blue-screens. Cannot even go into safe mode....

What blue screen errors your are getting, can you post a screenshot of the blue screen or post the error codes or error messages here. If you have a trial version of the Windows 7 operating system, then burn it to a disc and then try to install it on the machine, once it gets installed, immediately buy the product key from the microsoft site to register the software.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600