Thread: How to create system recovery image in Linux system

How to create system recovery image in Linux system

I need some help to create a recovery image or recovery partition in Linux operating system. I have a old laptop that works on ubuntu. Now we do not have any cd or dvd that we received with it. I have a windows laptop on the other hand which has a factory partition. In-case of error we can restore that very easily. The story in Linux is very different. There is nothing inside. Is there a way I can create a disc or partition for future purpose. I need help but not able to locate any stuff related to that.

Re: How to create system recovery image in Linux system

There is no need to create a recovery image or disc. Ubuntu comes for free to download. You can visit the official site to find the download and keep a bootable disc with. You can re-install from that cd directly whenever you need.

This can be done through a small tool called as Partimage. You have to install that first. For that run the following command in terminal - sudo apt-get install partimage. Once this is done, then the next step is to create and configure a recovery image. Now before creating a system image file you have to check the partition availability in your system. For that you can use the following command - sudo fdisk -l. Once you are confirmed with partition to use type the following in terminal - sudo partimage to run Partimage. There will be a screen which will show you Partimage listed with partitions.

Use up and down arrow to choose the right option for recovery process. You have to provide the right path where the image file will be restored. You have to put the location under Image File to create/use. After providing the space and choosing the right partition Press F5 to move to next screen. Check the configuration settings and then again press F5. Thats all you are done with the same. Wait for sometime until the entire system file is created.

You can use system rescue cd for the process. This cd provides you to create a system rescue disc. This is recommended when your system crash. It is much easier to restore with all pre-install apps.

System Rescue CD is one of the best according to me for Linux systems. It helps you to create a bootable cd or usb drive by which you can restore your system as needed. It can also help you to repair system and data in case of any failure. It is better for admins who carry a number of tools for system repair.

Linux does not has much system repair tool which yet so powerful. There are ample of other software added in the disc which can help you to troubleshoot a number of different problem also. The best part of using this thing is that it also work for windows. You can test this out buy creating a bootable cd first and then checkback. It is not complicated to use also. It provides you some of the powerful tools that you can boot from the cd itself. So to some extent it is portable to carry also.

Go for Trinity Rescue Kit. It is a free tool that help you to recover and repair a number of issues in linux and windows system. The download comes in the form of 151mb of iso file which you have to burn into disc directly using a iso burner.

If you are talking about recovery then the best one according to me is Ubuntu Rescue Remix. This also works from a CD but gives you the best GUI interface on your screen. It is very easy to use and provide you simple operation to run and restore your system. It also provides you optoins to recover your data and deleted files from your system. I can also provide you the details the disc can provide you for recovering files.

For filesystem you can use dosfstools, ntfsprogs, ntfs-3g, xfsprogs, reiser4progs, reiserfsprogs, jfsutils, hfsutils, hsfplus and gphotofs. For disk management you can use Parted, Partimage, Testdisk, dares, usbmount, mdadm, chntpw, smartmontools, sshfs (**) and open-iscsi (**). While there are other more tools like magicrescue, Gnu ddrescue, Autopsy, etc.

I remember at a client pc long time before I had used F-Secure Rescue CD. This is another bootable disc that allows you to check the software installed in your system. You can use some type of advance option to repair them also.

Linux boot disc comes with a bootable rescue mode. This helps you a lot for protecting your system from getting damaged. You can also repair your system as per your choice. But this is a bit advance option where you must know a bit of commands and code of linux. You can re-install the current bootloader or simply mount your file system as per your need. I would recommend you to read something on the Linux rescue mode. This is one of the best and powerful option according to me which offers you a better way of recovering your system.

The most important aspect is data. Linux Rescue mode gives you option to recover your data instantly. And if you find this complicated then you can use Safe Copy. This tool provides you data backup from those drive which are crashed or which are quiet not working. But the tool comes with some limitations. It does not work on major hardware errors.

I think LiveCD is more than enough. Because this reads all system partition and provides you a better way to deal with any failure. This is good for data recovery also.