Thread: Windows transformation pack for Ubuntu

Windows transformation pack for Ubuntu

I am looking for an better alternative to make my Ubuntu system look like Windows. I was working on Windows 7. But due to some virus issue I had re-installed with Ubuntu. Now I have two operating system. I am trying to work on Ubuntu but due to new interface I am bit annoyed. I need some transformation pack that can convert Ubuntu to Windows live interface. The same kind of start-menu and terminal. It does not look complicated because I had seen many transformation pack for Windows to change its entire look. I am ready to use any other transformation pack also.

Re: Windows transformation pack for Ubuntu

I think you can do that by using some customization pack. I had seen a video on youtube on the same process. But each and every step done by him was manually. He added windows wallpapers and then added a windows icon pack.

There is a windows transformation pack for Ubuntu. You can download that from web or you can simply get the same via terminal by running the following command - sudo wget http://web.lib.sun.ac.za/ubuntu/file.../win7-setup.sh.

Run the following to download Windows 7 theme. There is a small script which will be downloaded. After download you can see a popup on the screen showing the setup. Once done your entire desktop will changed to Windows 7 type theme. I am bit shock to find the start menu and the icons. It is very light and easy to configure. You can remove that if you want. The theme also modify the folder and explorer window. It does not make major changes but still it looks like a bit similar to windows. I am using this and this is the easiest way to get windows look on your Ubuntu system. You must try out the same. Compared to transformation pack used on Windows, Ubuntu offer you a much lighter way and easiest setup.

There are some transformation pack for Ubuntu on web. Once of them in Windows 7 transformation pack. But from maximum place the download is deleted. It is better you must try another os interface like mac.

I had did this once with snow leopard transformation pack. It worked well giving a nice tab at the edge of desktop. But to some extent I found the same slow. I am working on Ubuntu from long time and it made me really comfortable. The issue with this transformation pack is that you cannot remove the so easily. The installation is quiet simply but the removal on the same tool quiet long time. Some of my icons are still not restored. But that was fun testing. I will advice you to test the snow leopard interface once.

There are many transformation pack that you can try out. Compared to Windows transformation pack, Snow Leopard is the most easiest one. It gives you a simple taste of mac on your desktop.

Whatever theme you are looking for must have all important components which are needed. They include GDM theme, Icons Theme, GTK Theme, wallpapers, sounds if possible, Gnomenu theme for start-menu, Panel Backgrounds for message window, Cursor theme and DockBar.

Ubuntu lack a right transformation pack application. I had seen that. I had tested a number of tools which does not give better look. But there are ways by which you can manually customize the operating system on your need and then use it as per your choice. To get a windows theme what more you need. You need the right wallpaper and the start menu. I think there is a start menu application available for Ubuntu.

You have to search that properly in software center. You will surely able to locate that. There is one more thing that I had tested and was quiet happier with it. It was called as Macbuntu. This app converts the existing Ubuntu to mac operating system layout. The best part to check was the dock on the edge which was quiet more similar that I had seen on a mac system.

Luckily the second method worked on my system. I was too looking for the same thing. Now my system looks more similar to windows 7. I will test some other transformation pack and update here.

To some extent it is not complicated to use mac theme also. I will stick with the mac display as it make your Ubuntu more unique. I am trying to find more a theme that can help me to make my Ubuntu look like windows xp. But yet no one has tested that out and no developer has created a similar kind of pack. I will advice you to install what you can find in the software manager. Or else you might face issue related to performance.