Thread: How to create a shortcut for Show Desktop button in Ubuntu LTS

How to create a shortcut for Show Desktop button in Ubuntu LTS

I had switched from windows to Ubuntu. The issue is that I cannot use show desktop key which is by default Windows key + D. This failed to work on Linux distro. I had tried to remap the keys but still this does not work. I need help to setup the shortcut keys based on windows usage. Is there way to do that by using some kind of default application. What more can be done to the keyboard customization feature. I need help for the same. I had checked software center also but there is nothing much mentioned in that.

Re: How to create a shortcut for Show Desktop button in Ubuntu LTS

There is a shortcut for show desktop. For that you have to press Ctrl + Alt + D. When you hit the key combination the desktop will appear. You just need some time to get yourself adjust with the Ctrl button for sometime. But once you are used to it will be more easier for you.

There can be something done to key mapping. It is possible to some extent. If you can try you can locate some tool for that from update manager. That would be the best you can do and go for. To install something you have to get in root first and for that the command is sudo -s. If you are not able to get that via terminal then there is one more option that you can try. Key mapping can be done through xmodmap.

This utility is used to modify your current system shortcut. It is very easy to use. If you are new to Ubuntu then better try to get some tutorial from web and then check back. Once you are done with the setup you can run xmodmap to make changes to existing Ubuntu shortcut. It is a simple and short script which is easy to manage and configure. I am sure you can find this in software manager. Try to locate the same and download it. You can see the same very easily.

To some extent this will be complicated for you if you are using Ubuntu for the first time. There is a reason behind the same. Xmodmap is a small script which helps you remap your entire key settings.

There is no directly utility through which we can remap the entire keyboard of Ubuntu. I was quiet fed up with that. Because of that I thought it would be better to upgrade to Linux mint so that I can alteast change the current environment. I had gone with a method long time before which shows how to manually add keys changes. For that go in System and then click on Preferences. Then click on keyboards and done.

You must know properly which app does which job. For example to use the show desktop button you have to under stand the key to associate with the same. I had checked a number of sites to find a proper key mapping tool that can help me to customize the same thing. Those who are using Ubuntu from long time are very use to the current key setup. Xmodmap also does not respond well for some fn keys installed in laptop. The operating system that comes installed in the product only supports those key settings.

I am also fed up with the same. There is no software on web yet available that can give the same type of setup that I am looking for. For those who switch from windows to Linux find it very complicated to adjust themselves.

It is better if there is some kind of transformation pack. Like how we have in windows. Atleast that pack must have some settings which can convert the Ubuntu menu to windows start menu. I am not talking about modifying the entire files. I am quiet irritated when I am not able to locate alt+d to reach the desktop. After working in Ubuntu for hours I found that the key was ctrl+alt+d. I tried to edit the key but nothing worked out there.

I need help to find more about key mapping. It is a bit complicated to setup the function keys most probably. Is there is any special keyboard that comes for Ubuntu. Like how mac pc has a very different type of keyboard compared to what we have in windows.

No there is no special keyboard Ubuntu. Mac is entirely different. Users can find it complicated when they try to switch from one operating system to other. It takes time to get use to.

There are some keys inside which can help you. The first you had mentioned already is ctrl + alt + d and the second one is windows m. You just need to understand the existing shortcut. If you learn them properly then it will make your job more easier. I am working on Ubuntu for years and it is one of the most comfortable operating system. It had improved my battery life to great extent. Compared to windows I gain around 2 hours of more battery power. The reason is low number of services running. It is good for laptops.