Thread: How to install mountain lion 10.8 on different macbook's

How to install mountain lion 10.8 on different macbook's

I am having a MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) running on lion an I am qualified for updating to mountain lion 10.8 . In my case I am having two other macbook’s which meet the requirement for lion 10.8 as well. So I wanted to know if I will be able to install lion 10.8 on them as well after downloading the installed using redemption code ??

Re: How to install mountain lion 10.8 on different macbook's

Yes you can, if you are having all of your macbook's then you can install mountain lion 10.8 on them without any issues. You can simply use your redemption code for downloading the installer and install it on your macbook's. You will have to do that on each one, best of luck.

If you do that way then you will have to re-download the 4+GB file again and again for each macbook as after installing the update the installer files gets deleted automatically. So a better idea will be downloading the installer and creating a bootable disc or thumb drive before installing it on your MacBook Pro (Retina, mid 2012). Once you have installed it successfully then you can use the bootable disc or thumb drive for installing lion 10.8 on them as well. There is really no need of re-downloading it, Just try out the same and let me know if you have any issue with this process, I will surely try to help you out with it.

That seems to be a better idea, anyways you have mentioned something about “creating a bootable disc or thumb drive before installing it” so I just wanted to know how will I have to do that?? I don’t have much idea about the same, so can you explain the same in a bit detail? Further help regarding this issue will be highly appreciated.

It’s a simple process!!

Creating a mountain lion 10.8 bootable disc or thumb drive:
    • First make sure that you have downloaded the latest version of the Mountain Lion installer from the Mac App Store and look out for OS X Mountain Lion.app in Applications folder. When you get it then Right-click on Mountain Lion.app and click on “Show Package Contents”
    • Now open Contents > Shared Support > and you should see disk image file called InstallESD.dmg.
    • Once you confirm its there then just Launch Disk Utility and darg that file In Disk Utility’s sidebar, when it gets loaded in the sidebar then select InstallESD.dmg and click on Open button for mounting the disk image’s volume.
    • When InstallESD.dmg gets mounted you will see volume called “Mac OS X Install ESD”. Now Select “Mac OS X Install ESD” in Disk, click on Restore, Drag “Mac OS X Install ESD” in Source field and select flash drive in “destination drive” (Make sure that you have formatted the drive properly before using it) and click on Restore again.
    • You might be prompted for admin username and password so after entering it the process will get started and will end within 10 minutes.

At the end of the process you will be having a mountain lion 10.8 bootable thumb drive and you can use the same for installing lion 10.8 on you other Mac’s

If you want then you can try using Carbon Copy Cloner Version 3.5 or later as well it is a good clone-backup utility and can be used for creating a bootable install drive as well.