| || |
Join Date: Mar 2011
Re: Ways to install mountain lion 10.8 on unsupported macs
You can try out the below simple solution as well if you are able to download OS X Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store. Once you get it then create OS X Mountain Lion Bootable USB Flash Drive following the solution below: Creating OS X Mountain Lion Bootable USB Flash Drive:
- After downloading OS X Mountain Lion go in to Applications folder and look out for the copy of Mountain Lion you have installed. When you get it then Right click on it and select “Show Package Contents”. Now Go in to Contents>SharedSupport folder and look out for InstallESD.dmg file.
- When you get it then copy it to your desktop, connect a USB flash drive having of minimum 4GB, open Disk Utility and drag InstallESD.dmg in sidebar and select your USB flash drive and then click on “Partition” tab. After that Select 1 Partition from the dropdown menu and select Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
- Once you are done until here then click on Option and Select GUID Partition Table and click on ok followed by apply. When the drive gets formatted then select InstallESD.dmg file as Source and USB flash drive as Destination and click on restore. After the process gets over you will be having a Mountain Lion bootable USB flash drive.
Now after creating a bootable USB flash drive of Mountain Lion just download and install this installer
and point it to Mountain Lion Bootable Disk.After that leave your usb flash drive plugged and restart your Mac , upon booting Hold “Option” key when you get the startup chime and you should now be able to boot into Flash drive and continue installing Mountain Lion on other partition. Important:
- After the installation process first boot to Snow Leopard or Lion that you might be having installed, just install download this installer and install it on Mountain Lion Partition. Now you can Reboot your mac and boot over Mountain Lion partition for reaching the desktop.
- You should also install the below kexts accordingly from Lion 10.7.3 using Kext Wizard for Repairing permissions and rebuilding cache for System/Library/Extensions.
MacBook2,1 – AppleIntelGMA950.kext, AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle, AppleIntelGMA950VLDriver.bundle
MacBook3,1 – AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext, AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle, AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext, AppleIntelGMAX3100VLDriver.bundle
You can get Kext Wizard by searching on the net and download the same and install it.