Thread: System Requirements / Technical Specifications and which Macs can update to Mountain Lion 10.8

System Requirements / Technical Specifications and which Macs can update to Mountain Lion 10.8

I have heard that Mountain Lion 10.8 will be rolling out soon, so I just wanted to know everything about it. I mean its System Requirements , feature requirements and the mac models which will be qualified for free 10.8 upgrade. I also wanted to know the date when it will be rolling out?? Is there anyone having an idea about all this??

Re: System Requirements / Technical Specifications and which Macs can update to Mountain Lion 10.8

This is what I have found for Mountain Lion 10.8:

General Requirements:
    • OS X v10.6.8 or later
    • 2GB of memory
    • 8GB of available space
    • Some features might need an Apple ID
    • Some features might need compatible ISP

Supported Macs for Mountain Lion 10.8:

• iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
    • MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
    • MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
    • Xserve (Early 2009)
    • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
    • Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
    • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

Requirement of some specific features:
    • Time Machine – Will need an additional hard.
    • Photo Booth - Will need an iSight camera or other, Backdrop effects will be needed as well while using DV camcorder for fixing focus, exposure, white balance etc.
    • FaceTime – Will need an iSight camera or other will for making Video call along with 128-Kbps upstream and downstream Internet connection. whereas for HD video calling a built-in FaceTime HD camera along with 1 Mbps upstream and downstream Internet connection will be needed. In order to receive HD video calls one will need to have a supported Intel-based Mac.
    • AirDrop – AirDrop is supported for the below models only:
      MacBook Pro (Late 2008 or newer)
      MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
      MacBook (Late 2008 or newer)
      iMac (Early 2009 or newer)
      Mac mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
      Mac Pro (Early 2009 with AirPort Extreme card, or mid 2010)
    • Boot Camp - Boot Camp will work with Existing Boot Camp installations that might have been made from Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows Vista, or Windows 7. For using New Boot Camp installations Windows 7 will be needed.
    • Exchange Support - Will need Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Service Pack 1 Update Rollup 4 / Exchange Server 2010.
    • AirPlay Mirroring - AirPlay Mirroring will need a second-generation Apple TV or later and below are the supported models for it.
      iMac (Mid 2011 or newer)
      Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer)
      MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer)
      MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer)
    • Power Nap – It will be Supported by MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer) and MacBook Pro with Retina display.
    • Gestures – Will need a Multi-Touch trackpad, Magic Trackpad, or a Magic Mouse.
    • VoiceOver Gestures – Will need a Multi-Touch trackpad or Magic Trackpad.
    • Dictation - Will need a microphone and a broadband Internet connection.

As far as the mac models Which will be qualified for free 10.8 upgrade is concerned, I will like to inform you that qualifying 10.7 Mac purchased between June 11, 2012 and 10.8's release date (Which is most probably 25 July) Will get a 30 day’s time period for updating to 10.8 for free.. Where as a qualifying new 10.7 Mac bought on or after 25 July will get a 30 day’s time to request for free 10.8 upgrade.

If you want to find out about your OS X version of your mac then go to Apple Menu > About This Mac and check out the below page for getting free upgrade.
    OS X Mountain Lion Up-to-Date program
    If your mac doesnt qualify for free 10.8 upgrade than you can visit App Store for getting it. If at all your mac does not qualify for free 10.8 upgrade and you are not able to get free upgrade from app store than you can give your feedback here.

Re: System Requirements / Technical Specifications and which Macs can update to Mountain Lion 10.8

Thanks for it, I also wanted to know that how can I back up Lion and save copy of the installer before downloading Mountain Lion 10.8. I am asking so because I have come across people who have mentioned that it is recommended to back up Lion and save copy of the installer before installing ML 10.8. I don’t have much idea about it , so can you help me that as well??

No worries, you can use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper program for backing up. There are some other programs as well but these are the recommended ones so you can use then without any doubt.

If you have any issues with it further then you can feel free to ask.

dawidbrook Guest

The System Requirements / Technical Specifications on which Macs can update to Mountain Lion 10.8 are OS X v10.6.8 or later, 2GB of memory, 8GB of free space on HDD, Some applications might need an Apple ID, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BpnV View Post
    No worries, you can use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper program for backing up. There are some other programs as well but these are the recommended ones so you can use then without any doubt.

If you have any issues with it further then you can feel free to ask.

Yes SuperDuper and CCC are good cloning options but I know one more i.e Mac Cloning software product of Stellar which has the capability to clone your running OS also. It helps to create Image or clone both.