Thread: How to create boot CentOS USb Drive

How to create boot CentOS USb Drive

I want help to create a bootable usb drive of CentOS operating system. I had downloaded a bootable cd file from web which is around 690 mb, while the full operating system cause 4Gb download. I want to test this one time and ensure that it will work or not.

Re: How to create boot CentOS USb Drive

It is a bit complicated for operating system like CentOS. It can done through open source operating system. Connect the device to a working linux pc and then in terminal run dmesg so that you can see the device listed. Then the second important thing you have to do is to format the partition to make it bootable. Type fdisk to format usb drive. This one is the important aspect. Choose the drive and format it to fat32 partition.

Once done you have to then copy the iso files of CentOS to usb. Copy and then modify the cfg files. To make it bootable you have to install grub in the usb drive then. Then you have to setup the conf file to boot the system properly from grub menu

There is a handy utility called as ISO2USB. Download this and then install this in your system. Then format the pen drive to fat32 format. Run the software and navigate centos iso file. The software will make the bootable drive easily.

I think you can do that with unetbootin also. This software can help you to make the same what you are going to do with ISO2USB. I had not tested with CentOS, but there are ample of operating system I had tested with Unetbootin. You can give a try to the same. It looks centos has the same way of boot options that you find in other operating system. I am not sure about the LiveDisc. But you can simply try. What you need to do is install appropriate bootloader on your usb. Installing grub will do the job. Somehow this also depends on the centos version you are using. The most important step involved in configuring usb drive is to format the same properly. CentOS is a very straight forward operating system.

This does not looks a complicated procedure. Anyhow there are many bootable usb maker which can help you to make a bootable operating system does not matter what it is.

All you need a proper iso file to make the same. There is a tool that I had used long ago called as Fedora Live USB Creator.