Thread: When can we expect Steam on Linux

When can we expect Steam on Linux

There was a news recently which said that steam is moving ahead to provide official support of Linux. This has been delayed very long. Is that means we will be able to play all games of steam on Linux also or there will be some specific games only. I tried to locate info about the download and final release, but could not find anything on the same. There are almost discussion available on it. Is there a final date and list of games which are needed. I cannot locate any of them. Some news shows that this will be going to appear soon with game Left4Dead.

Re: When can we expect Steam on Linux

Yes that is right. It is just a news, there is no confirmation of date. Valve plans to start with Left4Dead this time and we can hope to get more games on linux.

That is a great step I think. But valve took very long time to decide about this. They must have done this before. There are ample of users on Linux who will love to play the games. Also compared to Windows I had notice many are switching to open source operating system. So when it comes finally for download you can see steam in the software manage. Anyhow the performance is another important thing that matter. And there are very less games which are available for Linux. I hope valve will also provide some famous games along with steam to download and test out.

There is yet no demo available. Thee was another news which says that this is already available for 64bit operating system. But I also cannot locate the download. It looks this will take more time to appear finally everywhere. Among all distribution Ubuntu is one of the most famous operating system. So if you are a ubuntu users then you can wait for sometime to get the final output.

Surely this is going to affect the overall performance of upcoming games. I think on Ubuntu you are not going to get a better output compared to Windows. It is a bit complicated to configure hardware on it.

This is usually for those who are Linux lovers. For a new guy this is a complicated stuff. It is nice that valve is expanding its way to Linux system. There would be better games but this will take time. Because the first game that is planned to release yet recently is Left 4 Dead. This is a bit outdated game, but still good. It is a bit difficult to have other games on steam as well on Linux platform. Linux is growing slowly.

Still today windows is one of the best platform to run games and applications. Also the same is quiet easier. But for Linux people need to be first use to the operating system. If you are not aware about basic commands and option then this would be a bit complicated for you to work on. Making steam available for Linux will bring many gamers under single roof. Compared to Windows we can utilize more resources in Linux. As it is light and better with minimal service and secure.

It would not be complicated to install and run games on Linux. I hope there will be a better way. I would love to dual boot my system using windows and Linux next to each other.

I am wondering what games must be available for the same. Will there is assassins creed, or portal. It is not fine if valve gave us quiet older games which has be outdated already. From graphics point of view, the games will look more better on Linux. There are certain things which many users will never know about Linux. What I found in news that valve has just started the development of Linux steam version. They will surely take a long time for this. And then they have to work back on porting the games to Linux platform.

I am waiting to find how the games will respond on Linux. I have some 3D games which works very nicely and the download size is very low. What I assume that compared to Windows the game on Linux will be minimum in size. And if the game is re-develop then we can hope for some better output.

This does not make much sense. I think Windows is one the easiest platform for multiplayer gaming. There are no complex settings nor there are issue with connecting players.

I can agree with the same to some extent. But many Linux users are already expecting steam. It is correct that they took a very long time for this decision. One thing that I am worrying about is cross compatibility. That means connection of players while playing when they are on different platform. I hope game servers on steam can handle the operation in more better way.

Still valve is working on the same and it will take time to for them to make it as simple as possible. Because today many users are not used to Linux and they might get confused with the setup.

Steam is available for Windows and Mac. But yet they are planing for linux. What I think that, they must have done this before. It would be better. But still lets wait for the game list they will provide.