Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

After restarting OpenSUSE 12.1 with KDE 4.6, time resets

Operating Systems

Old 06-07-2012

After restarting OpenSUSE 12.1 with KDE 4.6, time resets

I am using OpenSUSE 12.1 as operating system in my computer. I had used other versions of Linux that were provided by Red Hat or Fedora before in my computer. But this is the first time that I am encountering such a problem. Every time I start my computer, the time of my system is changed to four to five hours back than what it is at present time. I donít know what is happening, I have a dual boot system and time remains perfect according to current time on it. I have used commands t manually adjust the time, but even it didnít help me in anyway. Can someone help me sorting things out here?

Old 06-07-2012

Re: After restarting OpenSUSE 12.1 with KDE 4.6, time resets

I too am hearing such a problem for the first time. Maybe you must have set the wrong time zone in your system which must be causing this problem. Go in the settings and find the section for date and time and see if the time zone of your system is set to your region or not? If the operating system has been set in proper time zone and still you arenít getting proper time, then you will need to check the log file of your system. The command for doing it is,
grep log /etc/ntp.conf

Check the data in it and check for any improper syntax or formatting. You will need to find another system where OpenSUSE 12.1 works without any problem. Once found compare the same file with your file, maybe youíll find some error that is stopping the system from preserving the time in the system.
Old 07-07-2012

Re: After restarting OpenSUSE 12.1 with KDE 4.6, time resets

The ntp.conf is mostly restricted file in almost every system with OpenSUSE 12.1 installed. So you can use the following command to bypass the restrictions and view the file,
sudo nano /etc/ntp.conf

The problem is first of its kind and I have never heard of it before. Maybe the CMOS battery has been exhausted and thus your system fails to save the time. If this is not problem, then I suggest you to take a look in var/log/messages and /var/log/daemon.log too. Hope it might help to solve your problem.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , ,