Thread: Lost drivers after Windows Update

Lost drivers after Windows Update

There is a weird issue at my office PC. I had Windows 7 desktop. It was working fine. I receive a notification about Windows update. The notification showed me information on some security update. I did not check the details of that and allowed to install. At the time when I left and shutdown the system it showed around 80 updates pending to install. The message on the screen was about installation of update and then only the pc will turn off. I switched off the monitor and went. In the morning when I stared my desktop there was no sound. Also I notice a green bar in the center of video. I am using VLC for viewing my video files. I am not sure how does this happened. Windows update are good right. I allowed the installation and never thought this would happen. Now my audio stopped working and system is slow. What should I do now.

Re: Lost drivers after Windows Update

For slow thing I am not sure what to do but for audio stuff I can help you. Right click on My Computer > Properties > Device Manager. In that look for any device which has a yellow exclamation mark on that. This can be your audio device. Right click and click on update drivers. Click on next, let windows find the driver automatically. If this does not work then you will have to manually install the drivers. That can be done by downloading from your motherboard manufacturer website. If you do not know what is the model of your motherboard then download and install cpuz. In that click on main board. You can see the motherboard model there. Search that on Google and you will find the drivers site. Just download and double click on it. If still nothing happens then the last option you have is system restore. Type system restore in Search box of Start Menu. Restore your system to an earlier date. Next time when you receive those notification you can allow download to specific updates only. It is not require to run everything.

I think system restore will be right option for you. Run that to restore your system settings. It will also wipe out the updates I think. If not you can get rid of update from Control Panel > Uninstall program. Click on Installed updates on the left side. You can see the list there. Remove them one by one.

I always use a tool called as Windows Update Downloader. This tool helps me to manually check and install updates. Because I had faced the same kind of issue sometime ago. My video driver was affected. System restore really helps here. So skipped automatic updates and no update my system via WUD tool. It is a light free tool find on may sites. The tool gives you a list of updates and from that you can choose what you need and what not. When you remove the check mark the tool only downloads those which are needed. I am sure that if you have a good antivirus in your system you do not need to download or install any updates from Windows. Updates are require when you face any issue related to system crash or security bugs. You must also try this once. There are some options inside by which you can customize your update download. Windows automatic updates just stuff hundreds of useless downloads which makes your system performance poor. Even if you get rid of them the system still works slow.

I will not say that you must not install updates, because some of them are very important for your system. Because of some updates your computer became more secure. They also help to improve your system performance and make it faster. But some can spoil also. So that is the reason you must update manually. There is a option in control panel where you can setup manual update options.

Updates are sent on your system on basis of new issues and software's you are using. I usually skip all the updates. The reason are many. I check updates once in a month and update those only which are needed. There is a long process if you need to fix your system. Performance wise you have to get rid of some software's from your system which you do not use. You can remove those updates from your system under safe mode. Drivers can be found easily. The VLC green bar issue appears because of codecs. Just re-install VLC player and that's all. Basically what I found that if you do not install such updates your system is more prone to threats. As there are new virus appears daily. They can easily access your system and spoil it. I am not sure to what extent this is true, but updates are required. Sometime Microsoft normally stuff the system with updates which makes it slower and there is no option left other than re-installing everything back again. Check in task manager that which service consume what amount what amount of ram.

That can be found by Hijack this. install this in your system. Hijack this will give you a log file which will show you the list of services running in the background. You can find out which service is consuming more process and remove any software associated with that.

I am sure there is some kind of infection in your system. Did you checked properly. Scan your system under safe mode and then see. I think there is a virus in your system because of which you are facing the issue. I hope your an scan and check that properly. There are certain bootable disc that comes with antivirus program installed on them. You can simply boot your system from and check it.