Thread: Cannot play HD Videos on Windows XP

Cannot play HD Videos on Windows XP

I still love to use Windows XP. But I am really annoyed by this operating system when I came to know that there is no way to run HD videos on it. I am talking about HD blu-ray quality. Not regular videos. I installed a player for that. The player crashed on launch. Sometime when I play the video the screen goes black and pc reboots. That was very annoying. I had purchased a Blu ray disc of Clash of the Titans. Then I had attacked a blu ray player to XP which was well detected. I tried to sync that video no a wide screen tv via xp system. Nothing worked out here. My friend told that his might be because of Windows XP. This is a quiet old operating system and lack supports for HD video. Even if we get success in playing, we might not get a better output quality. Is there any way to play this kind of videos. I am sure there are ample of people still today who are using Windows XP.

Re: Cannot play HD Videos on Windows XP

There will be issue with the quality, bit it is possible to play HD video on Windows XP. That can be done via KMPlayer. This player comes with internal codecs to bun high quality videos. Also the output depends on your video memory. Because I had noticed a vast different between pc which has and which does not has gpu. Under Preference there are options by which you can enable and disable decoders. For Intel video decoder tick on MPEG1 and MPEG2. Also there are option to render H.264, AVC1 and VC-1 video codec.The same settings you will need to look for external decoders. The tab external decoder search will give you list of available hd codecs.Along with that you will need to specify the default decoder on the parent screen. The process looks complicated but it is worth to app. KMPlayer also provides you advance video processing options. By this you can configure better video settings.

Some time ago I had heard about a patch called as WMV-HD. This patch provides you high definition video output on Windows XP. But this patch only works on those pc which Nvidia GeForce 6 series processor. The patch is provided by Microsoft so there are less chances that it will nto work. This patches provides better video output. I hope you can find that patch and try on your system.

It is right that you might face issue to play HD videos. The reason is resolution. If the resolution exceeds your existing one, then there will be black screen. Also the system hardware is responsible for the same. To take advantage of new video output you might need to upgrade your operating system. Because new OS supports more higher resolution on regular systems also. The last operating system that I had used is Windows XP SP3. I was not able to play video on this also. I tried to use recording on the same, but that too was crappy. Rightnow I think you must quiet Windows XP. Instead of that get Windows 7. It has all features for dual monitor support and HD video quality. I would also not recommend Vista. Vista has certain bugs that people has suffered already. That lies under compatibility. Windows 7 will be better. Today you get HD channels on internet. And if you stay with XP you might never get chance to enjoy them.

I agree with the same. I had upgraded to Windows 7 long time ago. I found very flexible. You must have a good gpu to ensure that your system didn't crash on playing high quality videos.

Windows XP lacks support for that. And if you try to forcefully play those the system will surely crash. I have a project which has resolution of 18inch monitor. It was having Windows XP installed on it. When I run a HD video, the video plays in window mode. I was using VLC for that. The video looks half cut and it does not fit the screen. I tried to drag and make fit to screen. When double click on VLC to launch full screen, the system restarted. This has happened a number time. After doing a number fo troubleshooting stuff with software installation, driver upgrade, etc the last I concluded that this will not work on XP. After upgrade on Windows 7 the same video works flawlessly. It was smoother and the system did not crashed. So better go for new operating system instead of installing useless video players. They promise to play HD but when run the system crashes.

What I know that if you have the right codec then Windows XP might play the video. I agree that resolution of HD video is much higher because of which it does not fit on screen. But some player auto adjust the height and width of videos.

No that is not true. I even failed to play some video on XP. There was a old laptop in which I copied a 2GB HD video. It took more than a 30 minutes to finally copy all. When all was done, the default player freezes on opening media. I installed VLC and media player classic. That too didn't worked. The same video works smooth on my system in which I have Windows 7 and 1GB ram. There is also no gpu, but still it gives a nice output. I had attacked a dual monitor to that which is quiet bigger. It works fine. I think the issue lies itself inside the operating system. For better output you have to get new stuff. Or else there will be nothing much you do.

Do one thing first check the format of your video. Download that codec pack in your system. Install it and then use VLC to run the video. It will work. The video will take time to load.

Videos basically crashes because of poor codec. I do no think there is a relation between the hardware or operating system. I work on video editing and I came across a number of different formats and output. What matters is the right codec. For example mkv file format. I have to modify this video. For that I installed mkv codec it worked. I have a 64bit system of Windows XP which I am using for years. Something of HD you need those HD codecs. If talk about processing like recording or editing videos or conversion, you need a good system for that. But for playing I think a good video player can does the job. Try PowerDVD 10 Ultra 3D for your system. There is a lower version of that. You can check the features and find out which is the lowest version that support HD videos.