Thread: Windows Vista Image Restoration Setup Crashed

Windows Vista Image Restoration Setup Crashed

I am stuck on Vista restoration crash issue. I had created a image file on the last partition of 10GB. The entire C drive is around 8GB. So I can say that there is ample of space left. I am using Ghost to create a image file. The image file was created 6 months ago. I had restored the system a couple of months before and it worked well. The second time due to virus issue, when I restore the system it crashed on 80%. I the file integrity looks better. I am not able to understand why this crashes at so end. I had copied the file at a different replaced but as the restoration is affected I cannot start in Windows. I need some help regarding the same. My friend has told me not to use Ghost. Instead of that he had advice me to use Acronis.

Re: Windows Vista Image Restoration Setup Crashed

It looks that the image file is corrupted. You can run the backup file also via bootable ghost disc. You can create bootable disc on any working system. Boot the system with that and then browser the iso file via it.

Even I agree with the same. The iso file is corrupted. That is the reason that I keep a dvd bootable disc instead of keeping the iso file in a partition. Reboot your system back again. This time as you are not able to log in Windows interface. You will need to create a bootable ghost disc. It is just some kbs of file only. For that install Ghost on a working system and create a bootable disc only. Insert the disc and boot from it. You will see a blue interface window. You can browser the iso file and then run the recovery. If still that crashes then the iso file is damaged. The last option that you have is the backup you told. Or else fresh install Windows in your system. I am not aware about any tool that has a option to repair Ghost image file. There can be bad sectors in your system. If the restoration ask you to skip some files agree to that. Because the most important this that matters is proper restoration of system files. Other can be ignored for a while.

You said to skip some files while restoration. But that can cause some severe system errors. You Windows might not work properly. Fresh install Windows and do not rely on third party tools for restoration.

Windows Vista itself has a option to restore your entire operating system. When the system crashes, you can restore it from bootable Vista disc. I always use this and it never fails. But this is of no use for you. Now you have option to re-install Windows from scratch. A image file consist of all information related to your mbr and installation files. I had gone on Norton site to find out, whether a image file can be repair or not. A article on the website says that it is not possible to repair any image file. Once this file is corrupted you have to do all from beginning. Delete the file and this time better maintain a good place to store the data. I keep a copy in my system and another one in my usb. This is quiet helpful for me. The image file is corrupted due to many reasons. When you are deleting that, better format the partition entirely.

There are certain things that you can try out. First the error also appears if Ghost Index file is affected. This index file has list of things to be installed. If any of those is missing the file popups a error. It is possible to manually restore files. You have to use Ghost Explorer to locate the files inside a image file. There are no valid tools to read those files. You can use the command -ignoreindex to run Ghost Explorer. To run that you will need to pass the following in cmd - C:\Program Files\Symantec\Ghost\Ghostexp.exe" -ignoreindex.You will find ghost explorer on the screen. You can manually tick files one by one to restore. I had restored my old Windows xp system via this. One more thing. If instead of -ignoreindex you can use -corrupt to tell Ghost application to ignore the corrupt area of file. But unfortunately this can only be tested in working system.

There is no possible way to restore your system from that damage file. Install Windows back again and create a new file. That would be a much better option for you.

I am using Acronis. This is really a very reliable tool. I switched to Acronis when I faced a blue screen error while using Ghost. I was restoring my system from hard drive partition. There was some virus issue. While the restoration was working the system crashed with blue-screen. When I checked it, the error report shows issue related to memory. I tried many troubleshooting stuff to make this work. Atleast I have to simply re-install my windows. Now from last 4 months I am using Acronis and restored my system 2 times. There was no issue yet. I hope this would work more properly in comparison to Norton Ghost.

Norton Ghost faces a lot amount of compatibility error on Windows. That can be due to version or hardware. Next time when you are restoring your system better disconnect your system for lan.

I am sure there are bad sectors in your hard drive. Because of which some of the files are not properly copied. I never restore my system directly if I haven't used image restoration for long time. Norton has not released any kind of image repair tool yet. This is really a sad. Norton must provide some kind of bootable tool inside the ghost disc itself to fix corrupt files.