Thread: Running Linux on Asus UL30 laptop

Running Linux on Asus UL30 laptop

Hey guys, need a help from your all regarding Linux. Actually this could be the first time i am putting my hands on Linux OS. I am having an laptop Asus UL30, presently running on Windows 7. But due to some project and other office requirements i need to install Linux on the same.

Now as i said am new to Linux, i dont have idea if it will work on this or not. So I am looking for people who have some experience with Asus UL30 and Linux. Also if it is possible, please let me know if there is any kind of problem after installation. Thank you.

Re: Running Linux on Asus UL30 laptop

Asus UL30 is indeed a good laptop but windows operating systems. I bought it with Windows 7 installed and never got any kind of problem. But since i installed ubuntu 11.10, it started working weird with Wireless networks. Many times it just wont connect, and if it get connected, it drops the connection in 5 to 10 minutes. I tried everything i could, but its now a month working like same. Am soon going to switch it back to windows.

Well it seems like Asus UL30 is not compatible with Latest Linux versions. Even i tried installing Linux Mint 11 (Katya) once on my same laptop and me too faced few problems. The most weird problem was with skype. Whenever i use to make video calls using Skype, the video use to be upside down. Also while taking the picture it was not mirrored in the right way but I was getting the good result. I don’t have the HDMI so that I can check. Also i noticed that it has problem of brightness as well. Apart from these, everything was working fine.

Dont know how you guys got so many problems. I am a Linux users since i started using computers. Also using it on my UL30 and never faced any problem. On my system both wired and wireless is working fine, sound is proper and the display show up with the native screen resolution. So far there is nothing i found working weird on my system. But yeah, i had never check the webcam, 3D acceleration, the external display output on both VGA and HDMI , sound input and battery autonomy. But i am sure they would also be working fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Fadheela View Post
    Also i noticed that it has problem of brightness as well. Apart from these, everything was working fine.
    I have been through this problem once but this not a bug with Asus laptop or linux. you can fix it with few workaround. I managed to solve the issue , and the solution for that is the gnome-power-manager. I just reinstalled and the problem gone. i saw the article on the web that has mention this solution , so I tried it and now all my problem was gone . here what you need to do for uninstalling the gnome power manager. Type this in the terminal.

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove gnome-power-manager
    Now restart the computer, once it is booted reinstall the gnome power manager by Typing this in the terminal.

Code:

sudo apt-get install gnome-power-manager
    hope this will help for you as well , works form me.