Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Windows 7 says password expired but wont allow me to change it

Operating Systems

Old 11-06-2012

Windows 7 says password expired but wont allow me to change it

I am having a Windows 7 which was working fine till couple of hours ago. Now when i am trying to login to my account it gives me an error saying "Your password has expired and must be changed". How it could be so ? i dint set any password for my account. When I press OK it takes me to the screen where i need to enter my old password (that is unknown, never set) and to put a new password.

I simply left all these columns blank because i dont want to set any password and click on OK. Now it gives me an error saying
Quote:
Configuration information could not be read from the domain controller either because the machine is unavailable, or access has been denied
As i dint have any idea about such errors, i simply tried restoring the system with windows 7 installation disk. But another problem i got is system is just not detecting the drive. Can anyone help me out here ?

Old 11-06-2012

Re: Windows 7 says password expired but wont allow me to change it

Is it your personal computer or its a remote PC connected with any domain ? AFAIK this situation only occurs if the computer is on domain account. In such cases domain is set to expire the password in defined period of time for security purpose. Do you remember any messing with computer name, domain and workgroup settings ?

If its not on Domain, than the only suggestion in can give you is simply remove its hard drive, put it in any other pc. Backup your important data and wipe it. Or you can call up any Tech service guy who has the password cracker. Or he can help you in any other way.
Old 11-06-2012

Hey before wiping out your hard drive, why dont you try booting your system with Safe Mode. by doing this, atleast you will be able to login to your account if you had no password set (as you said above). Once you are in, simply create a new Admin account (Considering it is your personal computer), move your important data to this new account, and delete the older admin user account with which you are getting problem. Thats it your problem will be solved.
Old 11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by orton View Post
Hey before wiping out your hard drive, why dont you try booting your system with Safe Mode. by doing this, atleast you will be able to login to your account if you had no password set (as you said above).
Yeah, thats correct. If you are able to enter via safe mode, you can also try this:
Right click My Computer, click Computer management, and select Local Users and Groups.
Now chose the Users, right click and select properties and click on Password never expires option.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , ,