Thread: wireless network card not recognized with Mandriva Linux

wireless network card not recognized with Mandriva Linux

I have recently installed Mandriva Linux and the problem that I am facing with the same is that the wireless network card is not getting recognized. I have tried installing it twice but it is not making any difference. I just wanted to know if wireless network card are supported by Mandriva Linux or not? If supported then is there a workaround that I can try out to get it working??

Re: wireless network card not recognized with Mandriva Linux

Which wireless network card you are having in your system? As far as I am aware not all wireless network card are supported by Linux. Just let me know your wireless card so that I can have a better idea of the issue that you are facing and will try to help you with the same. You should also check out the card on other system running on other operating system to make sure that there is nothing wrong with the card. Just check out suggested things and post back what you find.

In that case I will like to inform you that there is nothing wrong with the card as I have tested it out on other os and it is working fine there. I am having an rt2500 mini-pci and I was using windows 7 previously on the same machine with the same card. It is not getting recognized since I have installed Mandriva Linux. The Ethernet card is not working as well. Since you have mentioned that not all wireless cards are supported by Linux I just wanted to know if there is a version of linux that supports most of the wireless network card? Any suggestion?

Even I am facing the same issue after installing Mandriva 2011 on my laptop. In my case I am having a "Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card" and it was working fine with windows without any issue. Since installing Mandriva the Wireless card is not working. I have inspected it well and have found that the LED indicator is not lighting up. I have gone through the connections manager and have found the Wireless tab to be grayed. As far as I can guess I think that this is driver related issue, correct me if I am wrong? Anyways have you found any workaround to fix this issue??

If you both want to try out some workarounds that can help then you can check out below things and see if you are getting any luck with any of them.
    • Check out in bios if there is any setting for enabling and disabling the wireless network card.
    • Try installing the card again
    • If that does not help then go in to Mandriva Control Center> Network and Internet and try setting a new network interface choosing your card and see if it is getting recognized.

I wanted to know if your Wireless card is supported by b43 driver, most of PCI/PCI-Express cards integrated in laptops work fine with b43 driver. If you are not aware of the same then go to Control Center and check out Broadcom wireless card which will be under Ethernet category. It should display something like this:
    Vendor: ‎Broadcom Corporation
    Description: ‎BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller

Since your card is not getting recognized you will have to check out this detail by installing it on other system running on different os. I also wanted to add that BCM4306 (rev. 3), BCM4309, BCM4311, BCM4312, BCM4318 are supported by b43 driver. So if you are having any one from its supported version then you can proceed installing b43-fwcutter tool and checking out if b43-fwcutter is installed in your system or not. If not then you can just select the checkbox and click on apply button for installing it. One you are done with the same then you can Open a terminal and execute the below command. You will have to enter the root password after su command. If everything works fine then you can get the wireless network card working. I am not very sure about the same but you can definitely give it a try.
    For Mandriva Linux 2010.x
    wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources...8.10.4.tar.bz2
    tar xf broadcom-wl-4.178.10.4.tar.bz2
    su
    b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/ broadcom-wl-4.178.10.4/linux/wl_apsta.o
    modprobe b43
    For Mandriva Linux 2011 or higher
    wget http://mirror2.openwrt.org/sources/b...mipsel.tar.bz2
    tar xjf broadcom-wl-5.10.56.27.3_mipsel.tar.bz2
    su
    b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/ broadcom-wl-5.10.56.27.3/driver/wl_apsta/wl_prebuilt.o
    modprobe b43