Thread: How to disable IR receiver in OS X Lion

question How to disable IR receiver in OS X Lion

I have updated my system to mac OS X Lion and I want to disable IR receiver. There was an option for doing the same in snow Leopard in Preferences but the same is missing in OS X Lion. I have tried searching for that option in Lion but I have not found it yet. Since I am new to OS X Lion I think I am missing something. Is there anyone running Lion in their system and has an idea about disabling IR receiver in it?? Any suggestions?

Re: How to disable IR receiver in OS X Lion

As far as I am aware it should be in System Preferences > Security and Privacy > General, the option for disabling Remote Control Infrared Receiver will be on the last page. If you are not finding it out there then you can also enter Remote Control Infrared in search bar after opening System Preferences. If you still do not find it there then you can enable/disable it from the plist configuration file. You can use “sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.driver.AppleIRController DeviceEnabled -bool false” command for disabling it and “sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.driver.AppleIRController DeviceEnabled -bool true” command for enabling it. If you want then you can also check out for IR Receiver under USB after running apple > About This Mac > More Info > System Report. If it is not listed there as well then try resetting SMC or PRAM to get that option. If you are not aware of resetting SMC or PRAM then you can follow the below steps but before resetting them you can try out this:
    First close all the running programs by Command+Option+Esc and after that Log off and log in. now Put the Mac to sleep and wake it and restart the system. When you are done till here then Shut down and unplug the Mac and power it on after some seconds.
    • For resetting PRAM:
      Turn off your system and turn it back again and then hold down the Command, Option, P, and R keys simultaneously until you hear the startup sound. The startup sound is indication saying your PRAM has been reset.
    • For resetting SMC:
      Turn off the system unplug the power cord for fifteen seconds and plug it back again and wait for some seconds. After that when you will turn it back on then the SMC will be reset.

Just try it out if you are not able to find out the option for disabling IR receiver and let me know if it is helping.

Hey thanks for that but I am still not having any luck with the above mentioned solutions. I have tried entering Remote Control Infrared in search bar after opening System Preferences, I have checked out the plist configuration file but the option is not appearing. I have checked out for IR receiver option in apple > About This Mac > More Info > System Report and it is not there as well. I have tried resetting SMC or PRAM following the above method but I am still not getting it. I don’t think I am missing out anything now. Is there anywhere else where I can find this option?? Or anything that I can try out further for getting that option?? Any further help regarding this will be appreciative. Thanks in advance.

I am not very sure but I have come across one who was having same issue like you and he was not able to find out the IR receiver in OS X Lion. Later after installing Candelair he was able to get the IR receiver option. If you want then you can try out the same and see if you are having any luck with it. You just have to install Candelair, update it and restart your system. After restarting you will get back the IR receiver option, just give it a try and let me know if it actually helping. Best of luck.