Thread: How to check Linux Compatibility

How to check Linux Compatibility

I need some help to figure out Linux Compatibility. I am planing to shift my small office from windows to Linux. The reason is virus issue. Also there are some apps which are not working properly on Windows while tested on Linux destroy they work well. Along with that there will be a server which will be used to backup the data. I had worked on Linux for some months and found in more comfortable. The thing I want to ensure before installing, is hardware compatibility. I cannot make a huge list of all hardware and post here. Thanks.

Re: How to check Linux Compatibility

Basically it is not necessary to go in much detail. Just install any latest linux distro and check. I had seen the operating system is capable to read and run any kind of hardware. It is being notice that there is great improvement in Linux new distro. One thing you need to check that if you are having a gpu, you have to find the right driver for it. You can simply ignore your motherboard, mouse, keyboard, drive, dvd, network, etc. They are on common standards. It is necessary to take care on system which as multiple gpu support. Here you need to find the right drivers or you might not be able to use the gpu fully. Another thing to check are the printer and scanner. But you do not require to worry here because maximum printer/scanner manufacturer provides Linux drivers also.

Check the below link. This link has information on all hardware support which are ubuntu friendly. You just need to click the right hardware and look what you have in your current system. In my views you do not need to worry much for that. All type of hardware supports Ubuntu. And if you have some laptops in your network then second link can help you to find the right compatibility.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...chines/Laptops

Daizy Guest

I have also switched Windows to Linux and feel more secure. viruses cannot attack Linux easily compare to Windows. As far as I am concerned ,hardware compatibility is same for both OS (Linux and Windows). Previously I was working on Windows and now I have replaced with Linux OS on same hardware and it's working superb.

There are number of websites online which maintain the database of linux hardware compatibility. And if you have system which is not older than 2 or 3 years then you can blindly use any latest linux distro. The software manager in linux offers you a number of tools that support cross platform. You do need to check either your existing app will work on Linux or not. You can use Wine and run Windows applications also. That makes it more flexible to use. I am using ubuntu from some couple of years and found it very economical. After installing my battery life is improved a lot much and the one major issue which is resolved is lagging of screen. Windows application looks heavier while Ubuntu is very light. Till yet there no major issue occurred related to hardware incompatibility.

Daizy Guest

Yes Sitia, you are right I have also noticed that after installing Linux battery life improved of my system.