Thread: Laptop won’t suspend or hibernate after installing Ubuntu 9.10

Laptop won’t suspend or hibernate after installing Ubuntu 9.10

I really wanted to have experience with the Ubuntu operating system and hence I install Ubuntu 9.10 on my Asus NX90SN. Installation goes well without any problem but after the installation, I found that my laptop is unable to suspend or hibernate.

I am not able to understand that whether this problem is with the Ubuntu or there is something wrong with my system. If someone of you can guess some reason or solution for this problem then please reply to this thread. Thank you.

Re: Laptop won’t suspend or hibernate after installing Ubuntu 9.10

There are a few lsimple commands that you can use in order to get this problem resolved. Just open the terminal and from there you will have to type in “pm-hibernate”. This will let you to the Hibernate option. If with this command, your computer gets into the Hibernate mode and it also wakes up then it will confirm that your computer is having support for the Hibernate. After this, again open the terminal and there enter:

sudo nano /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.desktop.pkla
    After this, you will have to add :
    Identity=unix-user:*
    Action=org.freedesktop.upower.hibernate
    ResultActive=yes
    This command will help you to enable hibernate again. After this, save the changes by pressing ctrl + o and exit the terminal. Final step is to reboot your laptop. Now you will get the Hibernate option there.

Re: Laptop won’t suspend or hibernate after installing Ubuntu 9.10

There is a Linux ACPI client known as AcpiTool that can be used for suspend and hibernate your computer. This is made so that the apm tool can be replaced by this. It is very small command line application. If you are laptop user then this is going to be very useful for the laptop users. Apart from this, you will also get the status for battery, thermal conditions etc. so this is the complete package and you must make use of this. Below are the commands used for suspend/hibernation.
    • To suspend: acpitool -s
    • To hibernation: acpitool -S

Difference is just the letter S is capital and small. If you want to make these commands more simple then you can also assign alias to that and make your own.