Thread: Can i install Ubuntu on Samsung series 9 laptops

Can i install Ubuntu on Samsung series 9 laptops

I am planning to buy a new Notebook and have decided to go with the Samsung Series 9. I was bit confused between Samsung Series 9 and Mackbook Air but want to go with Samsung Series 9 because it is enclosed with duralumin and because of that have remarkable durability. Duralumin is twice the strength of aluminum and is even light weight as compared to aluminum. It has backlight keyboard and multi-touch clickpad. I liked almost everything in it but have one question in my mind is that will Ubuntu work on Samsung Series 9. Does Samsung Series 9 support Ubuntu? Please if anyone has used Ubuntu on Samsung Series 9 then let me know if you are facing any issues. Even if someone has anything sorts of this then please let me know as soon as possible.

Re: Can i install Ubuntu on Samsung series 9 laptops

I was using a Toshiba Satellite and just some days back it died, I was using it since so many years. So I bought a new Samsung Series 9 Notebook and initially installed Ubuntu 10.10 on my system and it showed some very bad results the performance of Graphic was really very poor. Then after surfing the internet for 2 to 3 odd days I came to know that Samsung Series 9 comes with the Sandy Bridge processor which is more compatible with Natty Narwhal i.e. Ubuntu 11.04.

So I used Ubuntu 11.04 and after that it is working fine and I can even say that everything is working out of the box now. The display is so damn good trust me it is one of the best displays I have seen for notebooks. It works superb just you have to remember to install Ubuntu 11.04. If you are not getting an updated version of Ubuntu 11.04 then install Ubuntu 10.10 on the current system and run the code:
    Code:
    Sudo update-manager-d
    This will work on your system and you won’t have any problems at all.

Hope you know that the Samsung Series 9 notebook has no optical drive so if you want to install Ubuntu onto the system then you will have to create a bootable USB installation medium. I have heard that people are facing many problems of getting a successful boot from the USB device. Initially the system starts booting from the USB device, but fails in between with the error message “unable to find a medium containing a live file system”. The problem lies in the USB installation medium, the USB port for the boot has to be specific. If you want to have a successful boot then insert the USB drives in the right side port. In Samsung Series 9 there is only one USB port available to use as a bootable media. Just take care that you remember this as it is very important thing to remember while the installation.

You may set your Kernel in a panic mode if you wrong things when your installation fails. Suppose if your installation fails at any point of time due to the error “unable to find a medium containing a live filesystem” then simply hold the power button so that you hard reset the system. Suppose if such error occurs and you run the help command then you are actually pushing your Kernel into Panic. Kernel Panic will hang the system and it will not even allow to Hard Reset and you might have to wait for 7 hours till the system shuts down as the battery life of the notebook is 7 hours or else you will have to pull the power chord which might harm your Samsung Series 9 Notebook. So take care that while installation at any point of time, if your system gives an installation error then do a hard reset as soon as you can to minimize your risk of Kernel Panic.

You will not have the right click functionality on the Trackpad. To enable right clicking on the Trackpad you can use this
    Code:
    Sudo su
    echo options psmouse proto=exps > /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse.modprobe
    reboot
    Or, simply go to System and then go to preferences go to mouse and select the “Touch Pad” tab and select Two finger scrolling and two finger Right click. Doing this will enable the right click access on the track pad. Even the Backlit is permanent and there is no adjustment option available for this.

I am using Ubuntu 11.04 that is Natty Narwhal on my Samsung Series 9 notebook and I’ll just brief you about the things that are running superb with my system and even the things which are at partial support.

The things which worked out on my system are Video, Wi-Fi, Gigabit Ethernet, audio including my microphone, HDMI out, USB, Webcam, Bluetooth and SD card. The things which are partially supported are function keys and the clickpad. Hope this gives you a complete idea over the things and help you to make your decision.