Thread: How to upgrade existing Mac OS to OS X Lion

How to upgrade existing Mac OS to OS X Lion

I am fond with apple product and i am having apple laptop. I am using Mac OS 10.6 which is Snow Leopard and now I wanted to upgrade it to Mac OS 10.7 which is Lion.

I can try updating myself but i dont want to make any mistake with the process. Please guide me for upgrading OS X Lion.

Re: How to upgrade existing Mac OS to OS X Lion

Before upgrading Snow Leopard to OS X lion you have to check your hardware specification. For installing Mac OS Lion you need core 2 duo processor or any higher version of processor with minimum 2 GB of RAM. This step is optional if you want to transfer your data from Snow Leopard to another Mac system which is having Mac OS Lion. For this you need to run software update step and install latest “Migration Assistant”. Through “Migration Assistant” you can transfer your data to another Mac machine .

To upgrade your Mac OS you need Apple application store, without application store you cannot upgrade it. For upgrading Lion go to Mac application store check for software update and update it to Mac OS Lion. After downloading OS X Lion, launch the installer. After launching the installer, it will start updating your system.

This will take approximately 30 to 35 minutes to upgrade your OS. Next step is to check applications are compatible with your OS or not and also check for application updates.

Re: How to upgrade existing Mac OS to OS X Lion

Hey buddy if you want you can also do the new clean installation of Mac OS Lion in your laptop. For doing clean installation of Mac OS Lion you need to back up your data. Than make a bootable Lion Installer DVD or USB flash drive.
    Personally, I prefer USB flash drive to as a bootable installer because it’s fast and small in size and it don’t need DVD writer. if you want, follow the step for creating bootable Mac OS Lion installation USB drive.

• First you have to download Mac Os Lion from Apple Application Store.
    • Then you have to locate the Lion InstallESD.dmg file and mount it.
    • Now go to your application folder.
    • Move your cursor to “Install Mac OS X Lion.app” and click right button on it.
    • Then choose select “Show Package Contents”.
    • Now open the content directory and go to the shared support.
    • In shared support double click on the “InstallESD.dmg” to mount the Lion disk image onto your Mac screen.
    • Now check your USB if there is any data on it. If yes then create back up data and format the USB flash drive.
    • Insert the USB drive in your laptop.
    • Run disc utility.
    • Select your USB flash drive from the left side of disk utility and then click on the “Erase” tab.
    • Now select “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)”in format field, and enter the name in name field whatever you want.
    • Click on the erase button to format the USB flash drive.
    • Now in disk utility, click right button on the USB flash drive and choose restore.
    • Now you have to set the source disk for the restore
    • Now you need to set the source disk for the restore.
    • Now drag and drop the “Mac OS X Install ESD” image into the source or else you can manually locate and select the image file by clicking on image.
    • Drag the Lion USB key to destination and tick on the” Erase destination”.
    • Make sure that you have put right things on right destination and you are not formatting wrong drive.
    • Now click on the “Restore”.
    • You have to wait till the Lion DMG is restored to the USB flash drive. This will take few minutes.
    • After completing the restore process your bootable Mac OS Lion installer drive is complete.
    • Now you can boot your laptop with USB flash drive.
    • Insert your USB drive and hold down option during initial boot. At initial boot select the Mac OS drive.

Now you can install fresh copy of Mac OS Lion.

Daizy Guest

How to upgrade existing Mac OS to OS X Lion

You can resize partition of TM via third party tool. I have used Stellar Partition manager. It is reliale and easy to use.

Turturro
    Yes KAUSHAULa is right, first you should check hardware specification for installing new version of Mac then simply go to Apple store and upgrade it.
    Before installing Mac Lion we need to install Snow Leopard (10.6) but you have already working on Snow Leopard so you don't need. Next follow the instructions given by Turturro .