Thread: New security features in Windows 8

New security features in Windows 8

I just saw the preview of Windows 8 on internet and I found it good from its looks. Every icon was arranged in sliced tabs on the desktop. A new colorful theme is introduced which gives a completely different look to the Windows operating system. I actually liked it so much that I am thinking to upgrade my PC for Windows 8. But I store many personal files and documents which I need for professional use. I want to know what kind of security Windows 8 will provide. I liked the default security provided by Windows 7 and was satisfied by it. I also want to know what is new in Windows 8’s security which will be beneficial for a consumer. Can someone provide me with required information?

Re: New security features in Windows 8

In Windows 8, you will get a preinstalled anti-virus. In previous versions many times people used to complain that a virus or worm would affect their PCs as soon as they connected their computers to the internet for retrieving stored data or to upgrade some application. But now with preinstalled anti-virus, you don’t have to fear about the viruses, malwares, Trojans, spywares and other such malicious objects attacking your PC from the moment Windows 8 is installed. Windows 8 will have the Windows Defender collaborated in it. It will be an updated version which can provide best protection against the virus and spyware.

Other features of the anti-virus in Windows 8 are same as that was present in Windows Vista. The looks and the interface of the Windows defender will be similar to that of Windows Security Essentials. You won’t find any differences when working on it as the arrangement of the options and tabs are very similar. Since there is an in-built anti-virus software in Windows 8, it will not restrict installation or functioning of other anti-virus softwares. You can disable the Windows Defender and use any other anti-virus of your choice like Avast Antivirus, Bit Defender, Norton anti-virus and so on.

The downloading will be done in better manner in Windows 8. In Window’s Internet Explorer 9, when anything was to be downloaded, the downloader of Internet Explorer 9 would scan the content and then proceed with the downloading. This feature is known as SmartScreen Filter. In Windows 8, the SmartScreen Filter is inbuilt with Windows 8. This will help to apply the scanning and terminating the malicious content not only while using Internet Explorer, but also when using other web browsers like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera and so on.

This SmartScreen Filter will also check the certificate and the quality of the applications and programs that a user will manually install in his/her PC. It will check for any malicious content or invalid certificates and then allow it to start installation. It will do a higher level of scanning for softwares downloaded from internet. In previous operating systems of Windows, when such scans would be done, a large number of warnings for every check would appear. But now in Windows 8, all the scans will be first done once and for all, then all the warnings and notices will appear on a single screen with individual options related to the warning sand notice. This will not just clear the mess on the screen but also make it easy for the user to follow the decision he/she takes.

The boot method used for Windows 8 is different from its previous versions. Microsoft has adopted the new UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) boot system in Windows 8. This new system will give users a faster boot time, better security and many more new features. Microsoft boasts that when freshly installed, Windows 8 will start in around 8 seconds from the instance you press the power up button. This new system will also provide a better security from bootkits and rootkits which directly affect the startup of Windows operating systems in past. It will also help to stop the other kinds of malicious programs to affect the bootloader of the Windows 8.

It is sure that Windows 8 will work on systems which have old type of BIOS system without any problems. But to have the UEFI boot system to be applied by default and to be used to its full extent, Windows 8 will need PCs with new system. The new PCs will be capable of executing Windows 8 Certification which will set the UEFI boot system on PCs by default. Many users who need to use multiple operating systems on their PC or need to access the bootloader from time to time are affected by this decision. The quick startup and lack of BIOS menu will make it difficult for users to switch to the second operating system.

With launch of Windows 8, a new type of password has been introduced. It means there are two types of passwords that you can set in Windows 8. You can set a four digit pin password as well as you can set a picture password. The four digit pin password will work as regular password. The innovative thing is the picture password.

You can save a picture as a password in which you have to mark three parts of the image by a line, a circle and a click. These all markings must be in three different places of the image. For example, if you set a picture of an car from side view as your picture password, then you can mark the straight line of its bonnet, circle of the wheel or any part for click. When all these three gestures a completed, it will unlock the computer.

The picture password is meant for fun and will not open quickly as the pin password. But even when using the picture password, it is necessary for the user to set the four digit password. The four digit password will serve as main password and will be the only password to give administrative access to the user.

The new changes like SmartScreen Filter, picture password and pre-installed anti-virus are all easily noticeable features. Along with this, to ensure further more safety for the user, Microsoft has changed the code of the internal kernels, ASLR, and heap to help them avoid the common attacks and problems.

Microsoft is also making some serious security enhancements to help keep your system safer and to improve Windows' ability to combat viruses and malware. It just may be the biggest improvement to Windows security yet.