Thread: Windows Time service is not running in windows 7

Windows Time service is not running in windows 7

Hi, am having a desktop computer running on Windows 7. I have set the system clock so that it can automatically synchronize through the internet time server but problem is that, it is not keeping the correct time. Whenever i check it, i only get an error saying "The Windows Time service is not running." I click on the "Change settings" and have to select update now.

I have to do this every time I start the computer which is very irritating. I cannot understand that what is the problem with that and how can be resolved? I was searching for this on google and there are some resolution for this on other sites but before trying anything else I would like to hear from the people over here. If you are having any suggestion for me then please let me know that.

Thank you so much for reading and responding to this thread in advance.

Re: Windows Time service is not running in windows 7

It is possible that the problem is with the account that you are using. So if you wish to check that then you can create a new account. Now start the computer with that account and see if you are getting the same problem or not. If all the things work perfect with that account then you can make all the settings for the newly created account as the same as the old one. Once you are completed with all the settings then just remove the older account. Now you can continue with the new account as your regular account. This is the best way to get out of this problem if the issue is related to some particular account. Good Luck!!!

I am not very sure that if this will work for you but you must try this once. You can try by running the sfc/scannow from the command. After installing or uninstalling programs, system files can be modified. The sfc/scannow has perhaps overwhelmed with files which are most recent, or was deleted by uninstalling. Missing a dll for example can cause many malfunctions, and find a dll in its original version is not always obvious. The SFC utility, System File Checker takes care to check the files modified windows systems and replace them. The program is already installed in windows but you'll still need your installation CD.

1. Start / Run and type cmd:
    2. The command prompt should be run as administrator on Windows Vista. Click menu Vista and type CMD in the search field and it will involuntarily appear in the list during entry. Make a right-click / "Run as administrator" to launch it:
    3. In the prompt window, use the sfc / scannow to begin the verification immediately:
    4. Windows may ask to insert the installation CD, insert that.
    5. SFC started to check the system files, the process consumes a lot of resources.

There are other commands for the use of SFC, the following syntax:
    • SFC / SCANNOW: verify System files and make them protected immediately
    • SFC / scanonce: verify all protected system files at the start
    • SFC / cachesize: put the size of the cache files.
    • SFC / scanboot: verify all protected system files at every boot
    • SFC / CANCEL abort every pending verifications of System files protected
    • SFC / ENABLE: Enables Windows File Protection meant for normal operation.
    • SFC / QUIET: restore all incorrect file versions devoid of notice.
    • SFC / PURGECACHE: Empty cache files as well as checks the file systems.

Just go through the steps give n below if you want ro get this problem resolved.

1. Click on the start button and then enter regedit within the search box. After this, you will have to click on the regedit.exe from the Programs list.
    2. This might ask you for the administrator password for the confirmation. If it asks you that then enter the admin password and then click on the Continue button.
    3. Now go to the registry subkey as below and click on that.
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TapiSrv
    4. From the detail pane, you will have to right click on the ImagePath and after that click on the Modify.
    5. You will have to enter the below registry value within the Value data box and click on OK.
      %SystemRoot%\System32\svchost.exe -k NetworkService
    6. Just exit the Registry Editor and now you will have to reboot the computer.

If you do not restart the computer then you might get the error as “Error 1290: The service start failed since one or more services in the same process have an incompatible service SID type setting. A service with restricted service SID type can only coexist in the same process with other services with a restricted SID type. If the service SID type for this service was just configured, the hosting process must be restarted in order to start this service.”

This is a very small problem with the settings. You will just have to go to the start and then from the all programs, just open the Admin Tools and go to Services. There, you will have to scroll to the Windows Time and ensure that the startup is put as Automatic otherwise Automatic (Delayed start). If that is not set properly then you will have to double click on that entry and then change that accordingly. This is the only possible problem that I ca n guess now and so posting with the same. Try with the same and see if this is helpful for you or not. If it solves the problem then kit is good otherwise you can report us back and we will try to provide you some other solution for this.

Are you getting any kind of error or log while starting the system ? If yes then please post with that. It will be more helpful to give solution for this problem. Just check if you have enabled the Windows Time Service disabled. If it is disabled then you must enable that and the most important is to set that as automatic.

To do this, you will have to open the Run prompt and their just type services.msc". go to the Windows time and right click on that and open the properties From there you will have to change the startup to automatic. Save the changes and restart the computer to see the change. Other than this, you can also do it manually and for that, you will have to start from the Windows Time Service from the startup as I have already mentioned that.

It is very easy to sync your clock in order to have correct time all the times. All you have to do is follow the three simple steps below and you will be able to do that without any problem:

1. Click the clock and from there select Change time and date settings. This will let you to the settings page.
    2. Now click on the Change Settings which is under Internet Time tab.
    3. Select Synchronize time with an Internet time server from there and click on OK button.

This is it and you are done with the synchronization. I don’t think that you will have further problem with that.