Thread: Right Click and desktop Icons won’t work in windows 7.

Right Click and desktop Icons won’t work in windows 7.

I have recently installed Windows 7 32bit system and have started to face issues. The desktop icons are not working I am unable to click or select any icon, even right clicking the mouse is not helping. I am unable to understand what the issue is. There is no specific time for this thing to happen. Even it is not such that I am running certain program because of which it is happening. I am able to click on taskbar or windows explorer bar but not on the desktop. Can anyone figure this out as I am unable to understand what the issue is?

Re: Right Click and desktop Icons won’t work in windows 7.

Most of the times it happens due to the Wallpapers in the Windows 7 Operating System you don’t have to worry due to this some wallpapers have active windows so they do not allow you to click on the desktop icons. The simple way to get rid of these is right click on the windows Toolbar at the bottom of the screen on a blank area and select show the Desktop. This will now allow you to click on the desktop icons and access them.

I’ll recommend you to check your system for malware as most of the times malwares attack desktop icons or task manager. I was facing the same problem and my malware detected a destock hijack registry virus. Now the steps show what you need to do when the registry data item is infected.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoActiveDesktopChange s (Hijack.DisplayProperties) Bad (1) Good (0) Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    I don’t know how the malware infected my PC but after doing the above things I am able to access my desktop icons very easily and perfectly.

Try and run SFC/SCANNOW command in Windows 7 and see may be there are some systems files are corrupted. To this you need to open an elevated command prompt. If you open a command prompt and if it shows C:\Users\(user name) then it is not a elevated command prompt. To open the elevated command prompt you should be logged in as an Administrator, right click on the shortcut and click on properties.

In the shortcut tab make sure you have %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH% in the start in field.
    Now to Scan and Repair file systems in the elevated command prompt type sfc/scannow and press Enter. I
    f you want to only verify the file system then type sfc/verifyonly and press enter.
    When the scan is over you will be able to see a message box.
    If there are any issues it will be shown all is ok message will be shown?.

This will help you rectify the problem and then you can fix it.

Before scanning the system for bugs you can just try this and see most of the times it happens that there are some problems with the explorer and that is the reason you are unable to access the desktop icons. Just follow these steps and may be you will find the solution here itself. First disable your security software temporarily and check now if it works then it’s your security software causing the issue if it’s still not working then open the Task manager and go to the processes tab, locate the explorer. exe file, select it and click on “End Process” this will clear the desktop background. Now move to the applications tab and click on new task. Type in “explorer.exe” and click ok to reload the desktop. Now try clicking on the Icon and check if they are working or not.

I have finally found the solution for my problem. I don’t know what was it but fixed it at last. I am using Google Chrome and when I opened the Task manager to delete the explorer.exe file I was surprised to find a file name iexplorer.exe it was something weird I didn’t had any such application running but was still showing the file so I deleted it and then rebooted my system and was happy to see that my desktop icons are now access able and I can easily use my desktop icons but I am unable to understand what was this iexplorer.exe file was it an internet explorer file or was it some kind of virus, I don’t know but my problem is solved at least for now.
    Thanks