Thread: How to use Recovery HD in OS X Lion

How to use Recovery HD in OS X Lion

As every Mac user knows that Mac OS X and OS X lion have a hidden partition on their internal HDs and the name of HD is "Recovery HD." This partition or HD is somewhat equivalent to OS X Install Disc on your system and it is more convenient. This is not my saying but many Mac users saying this and I have seen many posts like this. I also have one in my OS X lion system but I don’t know how to use it and what exactly the use of that HD.

Re: How to use Recovery HD in OS X Lion

So you have finally found out that OS X Lion have a bootable Recovery partition. It can be used in order to restore your system from Time Machine backups, troubleshoot and reinstall Mac OS X. In order to access the Recovery HD partition, hold down Command+R keys during boot. While you are in the recovery mode, you will not going to see the standard desktop but you will get some limited Mac OS X Utilities displayed on a small window as well as a simple Mac OS X menu bar. There you have the 3 options like Disk Utility, Time Machine, and restore the OS. From there you will have an access to Network Utility, use the Firmware Password Utility, and launch the Terminal. With this you can repair user home permissions, start apps and do some diagnostic tests. However if you want to reinstall Mac OS X Lion from there, you need active internet connection. If you have deleted the Recovery HD partition, you will not get these features in any manner.

Re: How to use Recovery HD in OS X Lion

The OS X Lion comes with a hidden Recovery HD and it will get installed in every system where you upgrade to OS X Lion. The partition is about the size of 650MB in size. To boot into it, you should press the down Option button at startup. You will see variety of utilities in favor of troubleshooting Mac. It is a very handy partition for every Mac user in case if your system got stuck into problems and need quick recovery or troubleshooting. If there is no Recovery HD present in your system, it is possible to mount with the hidden disk image with the Installer.