Thread: Is it possible to get rid of attachements in Apple Mail 5

Is it possible to get rid of attachements in Apple Mail 5

Apple Mail is a pretty decent email client, but it saves all your attachments in a directory deep within the user library, which really allocates a huge amount of space and fill up the disk space without ever really letting you identify. So I am just concerned to get rid of all attachments in Apple Mail 5. I do not know regarding this and can you help me for the same. So the main concern I am with is I can't delete attachments from sent messages. So can you assist me further , thanks in advance.

Re: Is it possible to get rid of attachements in Apple Mail 5

So I will give you some basic idea regarding Deleting Your Attachments . here are some steps which you need to follow.
    1. Open up Apple Mail and create a new Smart Folder. You can do this by clicking the + sign in the bottom left corner of your Mail window, or else by going to the Mailbox menu and selecting New Smart Mailbox.
    2. Confirm to specify that this Smart Mailbox's rules apply to all. You then need to set simple rule: "Contains Attachments". You may as well wish for specifying that the smart mailbox should comprise messages from your junk as well as trash folders, just so you are covering all your bases. click OK after you have done and Mail will be create the smart mailbox.
    3. If Mail doesn't do it for you automatically, choose the new smart mailbox you presently created and look at the messages roll in. There will be a slight indicator besides mailbox in the sidebar to allow you to make out Mail is still operating . After this and after all the messages with attachments have emerged, you need to press Command+A to choose every one of them .
    4. Then move to the Message menu and select the Remove Attachments alternative. You will be having the same at the bottom. It might take awhile for Mail to carry out this task on each message if you have several, but go grab some lunch and make sure in about some time. you should be having an attachment-free mailboxes after this.
    Just make sure that when you are deleting attachments from these messages, it will tend to kill all the attachments on your hard drive as well as those on server also. mostly, Apple Mail will tend to remove the attachments from the message and it will then upload an attachment-free version to the server, followed by deleting the original from the server in addition. This is particularly awful if you were hoping to maintain a copy remotely but not locally, as well irritating since it's performing a mass update on several remote messages. When you do that, there is a sure possibility that you may mess up with those things and you may come across some duplicates also.

It was solved as when I made some contact to the customer support the guy responded that the issues was all because of indexing mail during the Lion upgrade. And he told me to select the Sent mailbox, and then select Mailbox and finally Rebuild. , I just tried this ways and everything seems to be usual.

I think this information will be helpful in your case as I made a fresh installation of OSX Lion on internal hard drives of my MacPro. I then made a boot from this drive and made some setting up my Mail and allowed the IMAP routine to import all mails from the parallel servers. I am now able to delete my mails and was solved with that weird issue.