Thread: Downgrade Windows 7

Downgrade Windows 7

Okay, here's my siutation.

I've an unregistered copy of Windows 7 professional on my computer and I want a resgitered copy. I have a product key for windows 7 Home. However, of course I can't use it to register Professional.

Currently windows 7 is installed on my 500GB hard drive but I want to install windows home onto my second 1TB hard drive. I would much rather NOT use a DVD to make the installation.

Thanks in advance for your help

Re: Downgrade Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by matt9537 View Post
    Okay, here's my siutation.

I've an unregistered copy of Windows 7 professional on my computer and I want a resgitered copy. I have a product key for windows 7 Home. However, of course I can't use it to register Professional.

Currently windows 7 is installed on my 500GB hard drive but I want to install windows home onto my second 1TB hard drive. I would much rather NOT use a DVD to make the installation.

Thanks in advance for your help
    What help you are asking for? if you want to install windows 7 home on your second 1TB hard drive without using the DVD for the installation then you can just get the iso image of windows 7 home form the web and install it on your hard drive by connecting it to some other machine. if you are willing to downgrade from Professional to Home Premium then i will like to inform you that it wont be possible.

hi, Thanks for the reply.

my aim, is to install home onto my 1TB hard drive and use that as my os.

Unfortunatly, I don't have another machine I can use :/
    I have tried to mount my iso on a USb using microsofts offical tool, however, it won't work because of 'missing bootsect' :s

hi, Thanks for the reply.

my aim, is to install home onto my 1TB hard drive and use that as my os.

Unfortunatly, I don't have another machine I can use :/
    I have tried to mount my iso on a USb using microsofts offical tool, however, it won't work because of 'missing bootsect' :s
    I just wanted to know is it saying “BOOTMGR is missing” or 'missing bootsect'

Bootsect.
    I have the 64 bit version of home.

Bootsect.
    I have the 64 bit version of home.
    You will have to use Windows 7 DVD or a Repair C for restoring the Windows 7 Master Boot Record but then you have mentioned that you are not willing use a DVD for the installation ?

Yeah, I don't want to use a DVD disc unless it can be done in a way that doesn't cost me a single penny :/

so...is it is imposible, for me to get my legal version of windows back without spending money to do so?

I think that when you buy a pc that is preloaded with Windows, then the OEM computer manufacturer is responsible for supplying the install media. You can also buy the 32 bit OEM version. And if you know a friend or colleague who has a 32 bit version of Windows 7 that is equivalent to the 64 bit edition that came with your system, you could use it and use your product key to activate it on your system.