Thread: The Start Screen and launching programs are gone from Windows 8

The Start Screen and launching programs are gone from Windows 8

Installed windows vista into my computer system and found it quite impressive. I really loved all its features and functions, most importantly the system now runs like smooth and efficient. But still I would say that the release of windows 8 has not really got all the appreciation of their users. It must have fulfilled almost all the necessary and requirement of user but in some way it has also eliminated some of the features that played a major responsibility in the earlier version of Windows system. I remember before windows vista I kept an application launcher called Lauchy in order to get a fast and quick access to all the other software and apps existing in the system but then the requirement of this app was somehow erased after the introduction of the search option in the start menu. The best thing was that I need not have to do anything, just click on the Win Key then type what so ever is needed and then click on Enter and then the desired thing is opened. Like for example if I want to open an Outlook I just have to hit the Win Key then type Outlook into the text and then press Enter, Outlook is opened. And this is how I use to do my activities; it started playing a major role at least in my case. But now I am very much depressed with the fact that the Developer Preview has no more Start Menu and the start function in it.

The system really look incomplete without a start menu, At least they should have a start Menu if Search function is not possible at all. It would be very much thankful if the developers do notice this thread and have a look into the necessity of a Start Menu and a Search function into the system. for that I need your help, I would love to have your opinion on this and let me know you view on it. Don’t you thing that these features are the basic and the most important ones in any of the Windows system.

Re: The Start Screen and launching programs are gone from Windows 8

I do agree with you my friend, obviously Start Menu and Search function are one of the biggest feature and also a huge advantage in any of the windows system. They have been supporting the system since long time ago, they should never be elimination from windows and I am sure the developers won’t be doing so. For your kind information let me tell you that the one which you are talking about is a Developer Preview and in this version it’s true that the Start menu has not been added but I believe that this is because it is a Developer Preview which is meant only for the purpose of testing. Once they will come up with the original Consumer Preview then definitely they will add all the required features into it. Start Menu won’t be eliminated I guess.

I do not have any issue with the absence of the start Menu and I also do not find any requirement of the Old Start Menu. There is no doubt that everyone wants something new with the introduction of the new version, things do change and get old as the world goes on. In the previous Start Menu we use to get a completely blown up Start Screen with a huge number of programs filling up the complete desktop just to open a single application or program. It was never really so impressive. There was also certain problem that the user to use face while accessing that Start menu. Anyways old Start Menu is old so no problem if its eliminated but the only thing what I am looking out for in new system is the possibility of getting a full access to the programs or the search function and should be able to access those programs in a quicker manner.

Its not necessary the start screen has to the only method to access the Programs, there could be some other way out for doing so.

I have a neutral opinion with the Start menu, do not mind either they keep it or eliminate it. You will have to now start getting access to certain different shortcuts if you are looking out for some appropriate thing. Also you will now onwards not have mixed results of settings and apps with the file results which will surely cause certain confusion especially to the new users. This all things are bound to be happening if you are going to access the new Windows 8 Developer Preview. There are certain shortcut keys that are documented together for the Developer Preview in order to make the user access the system more fluently.

Not sure but I think on the Start Screen you can directly have access to any program by typing their name into the search text whereas in the Consumer Preview Instant Search works the same for it. The context of the apps are default if you have access to the keyboard, this is the best and the fastest way to find and then launch the applications. I have a vista system, I generally using instant search option like other users. I continued this thing even in windows 7, i have my top ten applications that were hooked up to the taskbar in my windows 7 system. never had any difficulty in launching an application that I never use or open in the machine, what I need to do is to go to Start and then type in the name of the application that I need that’s it. I really got used to this technique. Now in consumer Preview I simply start typing but all the time I have to make sure that I do not try to click on the Start menu as there is no such thing existing in Consumer Preview. However in consumer preview the results that we get after the search is very well set and organized and this is one of the added advantages that I like about consumer Preview. If you are really not concerned about doing anything but only getting all the applications then you need not have to do anything simply hit Windows Logo and Z all together and get all the apps or else you can also Right Click or just swipe the Start Screen from Top to the Bottom edge.

You need a significant search technique, alright. If you move the mouse to the lower right corner of the left side of the screen depending upon your Monitor placement, you would see a GUI that would show you up a Search that is placed at the top on the right side of the screen of your monitor. I prefer to get a faster way of accessing the apps and I think it takes quite enough time if you go on to try this way especially if you are on the desktop, the reason for this thing is that there are sometimes possibilities that you might end up getting a taskbar instead of the GUI. Therefore I do not prefer such technique.
    But other than this I am damn confident that this does exactly the same what you need after you select the app option, this is much similar to the old search option in the Start Menu. But there’s issue, I think there has to be a shortcut way for searching with the selected apps in the search instead of doing it with the complete system. if you hit the Win + F key you would end up getting the same result.

Another thing you can try out is on the Start Screen type in Word and if that doesn’t work then you can easily get your mouse to the right side in order to bring up the charms and therefore the top charm is searched. No probably sure with this one.

I have already tried typing in Word on the Start Screen but that didn’t really helped, I did it in the Developers Preview I would manage to scroll to the right side in the Metro screen then in the search text try to type anything and it would work but if you try to open the metro screen and then type it would not make a successful affords. One thing I would like to mention is that I am able to move around my cursor to almost all the places including the charms but that is not what I am looking out for, I don’t want to use my mouse. As already been said the operation should be done without the usage of the mouse.