Thread: No compatibility mode tab in property dialog for Windows 8

No compatibility mode tab in property dialog for Windows 8

Windows 8 is the best no doubt but it seems like there are certain things that has been eliminated from this latest version of software that has been released by Microsoft. I still remember when I had windows 7 installed into my system on the property dialog there was a compatibility mode tab for the shortcut that use to allow the user to even run the application into a compatibility mode.

I installed an app under windows 7 that was semi-temperamental until and unless I made it to take it as a windows XP application. But when checked out windows 8, it seems like in it the property dialog do not have such tab. Search all the way but no where I found that compatibility tab. Is there anyone who can let me know where can I found this tab if its really existing? Or does this tab really exist? If yes then let me know the location.

re: No compatibility mode tab in property dialog for Windows 8

Yeah I too have same doubt. Seems like the tab doesn’t exist at all. Yesterday while searching on net I found an interesting game and there for trying out to play that game I simply installed it. However the installation was done successfully but I was nowhere able to find the shortcut of the game that is supposed to be automatically created at the Start screen if I am not mistaken. Everyone knows that after downloading and then installing any game a shortcut is created always with an arrow mark on the icon but in my case there was not such icons displayed on the screen. Later on I went into C:\Program Files and the searched for the game’s launcher. After I found that launcher I managed to create the shortcut and then place it on the desktop. But then after I reached the shortcut tab I right-clicked on the created shortcut, opened the property dialog and guess what? There was no compatibility tab into it. It was very much strange and shocking for me to miss that hidden tab. Also when I try to right click on the target file in Explorer and when I check out the property tab the case was same as with that game folder, there was no compatibly tab even there.

There are certain things I would like to tell you and also ask you. I do encountered the same thing when I first time installed this software but then I contacted the support center and from there I got the answer I got was that the compatibility tab actually still existing for the desktop application. At least they have not yet made any such changes or modification from their side in this part of section. I was told that I would certainly not be able to get to the compatibility tab on the Start screen from the tile. Check out the compatibility tab on the program in built to window and let me know whether you can find any compatibility tab over there like notepad; C:\Windows\Notepad.exe.

Yeah I do find one on Regedit, the icon over there was quite different and unique. Found another on chrome’s icon and on firefox’s icon while testing them under windows 8. All in all I found total of 3 tabs into my system and they are there on the software’s paintshop pro 7 excutable. I simply checked them as they were the only non-Microsoft application that was installed until now. But however even I do have certain games that lacks this tab, whereas there are also other icons or application that lacks the digital signature tab. till now I have verified the file that is located on the windows 7 drives. Not just this also the executable on the windows 7 drive came up with the digital signature tab lacking the compatibility.

I am still clueless why the windows 8 developers have added the digital signature in it; it doesn’t seems to be happening to be equivalent in windows 7. If you check out windows 7 you would find it the basic and standard thing on any of the other related programs that you will come across. The name of the original company who developed the game and went out of business is added in the digital signature option.

Recently what I did was clicked on the view certificate button on the General page of digital signature and found the validation date of certificate. And on the path tab of certificate its has been stated that “Certificate is OK”. There was no issue with the installation when installed it under windows 7, but yeah registration was a sort of problem in some of the other way. The game actually did used one of the unwanted security tool called securerom for the protection of anti-piracy and also the installation for the expansion of this game did not worked anyhow as according to the expectation. I was supposed to use a manual workaround in order to get things down. If I am not mistaken then I guess in windows 8 the windows defender has the features of Microsoft security essentials built in and therefore I think it could somehow mess up with this installation causing the issue that I already I am having.

I personally find that Microsoft has removed the windows 2000 and Windows NT 4.0 from the OS list on the compatibility tab. I am unaware why Microsoft is tried to force its users making them determine to make us to use Application compatibility toolkit. It would be much better if they add up the missing OS into the application’s compatibility tab. And for windows OS with 64 bit you are suppose to add up windows XP 64 bit and windows server 2003 x64 to the same list.

Recently few days ago I rebooted my system to windows 7 and then tried to check out both the shortcut and the EXE file; both of them came up with the compatibility tab. Anyways for you issue I would like to know certain things from you, the application that you are talking about, does that application successfully runs in all windows 8 consumer preview. It should run, and if its not then let me know the problem you encounters with the app.

After you downloaded and installed the application into your windows 8 consumer preview you must have found a notification, this notification window states that the application that you have installed may not work correctly with the version of windows you are running and so on….. Did you ever receive this kind of notification after the completion of installation?

question Re: No compatibility mode tab in property dialog for Windows 8

ok I am not very technical, but I love to play games. Since installing Windows 8, I find that a lot of my games from Gamehouse, or Big Fish, do NOT have the tab and I cannot find a way to make them work.

Is there any program that can add the compatibility mode tab? Or ??

please help,
    Lara

Re: No compatibility mode tab in property dialog for Windows 8

Quote Originally Posted by larafl View Post
    ok I am not very technical, but I love to play games. Since installing Windows 8, I find that a lot of my games from Gamehouse, or Big Fish, do NOT have the tab and I cannot find a way to make them work.

Is there any program that can add the compatibility mode tab? Or ??
    Could you tell us what games you are trying to run in Windows 8 and is it the final version of OS that you are using? If the game is not running then do you see any kind of error with the same application? At the time when you were installing the game in Windows 8 then did you get any notification that said something like "This application may not work correctly with this version of Windows" or so?
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

Quote Originally Posted by newtech View Post
    Could you tell us what games you are trying to run in Windows 8 and is it the final version of OS that you are using? If the game is not running then do you see any kind of error with the same application? At the time when you were installing the game in Windows 8 then did you get any notification that said something like "This application may not work correctly with this version of Windows" or so?
    This is the UPGRADE version from W7. Big Kahuna Reef 3 didn't work at first, and I re-installed it from GH, and it now works, but I lost ALL progress. Big Kahuna Reef and 3 Cards to Dead time will not work at all? Even tried removing the game and re-installing. Doesn't work? I tried running the game as Administrator, no go.

Looked in the Event Log, nothing? All it does is start up, the cursor goes onto a circle and then stops?

There is ONE common problem with those that DO NOT RUN... the Icon properties (or file Properties) is MISSING the COMPATIBILITY tab? Seems many people have this W8 problem but no solution?

This is a Dell XPS8500 that was purchased in June. Dell 'suggests' upgrade to W8 and then install the new files they have for the 8500 and then the Windows Update.

At the time of the Update all LIVE TILES worked fine. Now at some point in this process, the Live Tiles worked on the start screen, you can see the weather for instance. However once you open any of them you got nothing, for weather for instance you'd see a blue screen with a white 'sun' and 5 twirling dots...

After researching this, and MANY people had this problem, the fix was to do a W8 refresh.

After this, I did NOT put back the Dell files as the computer seemed to be working well after the Windows Update.

Well, not completely. There are 2 specific problems...

1) The ATI Catalyst Control Center all the time came up and said it had a problem and I could cancel or continue (with a choice to not be told of this again). Since I saw this in the Upgrade Advisor :

=====
    ATI Catalyst Control Center
    Reinstall it in Windows 8
    =====

I went to Dell to get its version of the video driver, and I got the same error? Hmm, went to ATI and got theirs, same message, so I said continue and don't tell me about it again. CCC does work????

2) More complexing is a Windows Update failure...

===================
    Intel Corporation - Storage Controller - Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller

WindowsUpdate_80070103

If you receive Windows Update error 80070103 while installing updates, you might be trying to install a driver that's already installed or a driver that might be less compatible than one you already have installed on your PC.
    ===================

Since the disks are working I've ignored this one.

SFC /SCANNOW finds no problems?

At a loss here... and unwilling to do a CLEAN install and lose EVERYTHING and have to locate many programs to re-install. Going back to W7 would seem to be a better alternative (I've got a Norton Ghost image from prior to W8 install)?

I haven't come across anyone having some many issues with windows 8. Since you have already tried reinstalling windows 8 without luck, i cant think of anything else that might help.

I mean you have already installed the suggested drivers and have ran SFC /SCANNOW command without any issues, so even i think that rolling back to widows 7 would be a better choice for you. If you want than you can dual boot your Dell XPS8500 with windows 8 and 7.