Thread: Windows 8 - wifi not working

Windows 8 - wifi not working

I have installed windows 8 on my laptop and I don’t know for what reason wifi has stopped working. I have tried updating the drivers and it keeps on saying that it was not able to find a better driver. In short my driver is up to date already. If it is so than why my laptop wifi has stopped working?? I never had any such issue when I was running windows 7. I want to know if there is anything that I can try out for getting wifi working.

Re: Windows 8 - wifi not working

I want to know if you have tried making clean installation of the latest driver for your wifi adapter manually??? If you haven’t than I think trying that would be worth a shot. You can use some uninstaller like driver sweeper for uninstalling current driver and install the latest driver after that. If you have any issue in finding latest wifi adapter driver of your laptop than let me know about its model number in your next post so that I can check it out for you.

I had tried uninstalling and reinstalling wifi adapter driver previously but after your suggestion I have tried making clean installation using driver sweeper but I don’t see any improvement. Can there be an issue with the wireless adapter in my laptop?? I mean some kind of hardware issue and so??? Actually I don’t think there might be a hardware issue as it was working fine until I installed windows 8. It seems as if there is some software bug but if there’s nothing wrong with the driver than what else might cause this issue??? These things are confusing me and I am running out of ideas now.

Even I have installed windows 8 in my Lenovo laptop but I am not facing any issue. My laptops wifi is working fine so I don’t think there might be a software bug in windows 8.
    As far as I can guess there might be something wrong with your driver, I know that you have already tried installing the latest driver but I just want you to follow below order.
    • Uninstall wifi driver using driver sweeper
    • Restart your system
    • Install latest wifi driver
    • Restart your system

Turn on wifi and see if it is working now, if not that there might be some hardware issue with it and you will have to get it checked.

I have tried following above uninstallation and reinstallation process but no avail. I am still not able to get my laptop wifi working. I will try installing windows 7 again and will cross check if wifi works fine with it again or not. Until than if you come across any other solution that might help me out than please share it here, it will be highly appreciative.

I want to know if you have upgraded over windows 7 or you have made clean installation of windows 8??
    There are some people who have run in to similar issue after upgrading to windows 8 over windows 7. The only thing that had helped them out was making clean installation of windows 8. I know that one should have no issue in upgrading to win 8 over win 7 but you have tried out all possible solution for fixing it by now. I can’t think of anything else that might help.
    So if you are not having any issue in making clean installation of windows 8 than go ahead with it and let me know if your laptops wifi start working fine after that, best of luck.

LAMONT D this is a driver issue, I have gone through number of other forums while checking out a fix for your issue and have found most of them fixing it by installing latest wifi driver.
    Since windows update is telling you that you are having latest driver already, I will suggest you to contact your manufacturer or visit their official site and check out if they have come up with any latest compatible driver for your laptops wifi adapter. If yes then you can try installing that.

This is what I had done to fix the issue:
    • Go to start, click on Run, type services.msc and click on Ok.
    • Scroll down to Superfetch, enable the service, make sure that Startup is set to Automatic, save and exit Services window.

Now re-launch Superfetch service and it should start up fine