Thread: Vista extended monitor auto setup

Vista extended monitor auto setup

hi,

I have a 2nd monitor permanently setup on my Acer laptop. This 2nd monitor is 17" and i use a 1280x1024 resolution on it. Problem: every boot up i have to set this resolution manually by going into 'display setting' dialog in vista since it always defaults to a much lower resolution which makes everything look 'huge'. My question: is there a way to make vista remember the, 1280x1024 resolution setting for this second (always connected) monitor. so that it always defaults to this every time i start-up.

Thanks in advance.

Specs:
    Acer: 17" 16:9 aspect ratio - resolution set to 1600x900
    Dell monitor 17" 5:4 aspect ratio - resolution (desired) 1280x1024

The Dell is used for extended desktop and is connected to my Acer laptop via a special USB-to-monitor connector(15pin d-shell).

Re: Vista extended monitor auto setup

I found one particular solution after doing some research in the internet and hence I have decided to share it with you. First of all you need to download a program called as video resolution changer. The display resolution is configured normally while running ResSwitch.vbs. Modify the speed or the suplex script in order to set the resolution using ResSwitch.ini. If you talk about ResSwitch.ini then it has the following format

[HWP2694]
    ;HP L2045w
    WIDTH=1680
    HEIGHT=1050

The values which are between the brackets does matter a lot. Also make note that the value of height and width should be mentioned properly to display the desired resolution.

Following are the steps to retrieve the NPDeviceID value so that you can add a new monitor to ResSwitch.ini

1) Open the command prompt and run the command as “wmic desktopmonitor list full”.

2) Now look out for the PNPDeviceID value and then search for the subset for the search string. Normally the values between the backslashes will be quite good, so best to have a look anything between the backslashes.

3) unzip the ResSwitch.zip file, copy the 1365VidChng.exe file on to the same folder which you extracted and then run ResSwitch.vbs.

4) you will be getting a lot of PNPDeviceIDs with the supported resolutions so that you can build a good INI file.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessalyn View Post
    I found one particular solution after doing some research in the internet and hence I have decided to share it with you. First of all you need to download a program called as video resolution changer. The display resolution is configured normally while running ResSwitch.vbs. Modify the speed or the suplex script in order to set the resolution using ResSwitch.ini. If you talk about ResSwitch.ini then it has the following format

[HWP2694]
    ;HP L2045w
    WIDTH=1680
    HEIGHT=1050

The values which are between the brackets does matter a lot. Also make note that the value of height and width should be mentioned properly to display the desired resolution.

Following are the steps to retrieve the NPDeviceID value so that you can add a new monitor to ResSwitch.ini

1) Open the command prompt and run the command as “wmic desktopmonitor list full”.

2) Now look out for the PNPDeviceID value and then search for the subset for the search string. Normally the values between the backslashes will be quite good, so best to have a look anything between the backslashes.

3) unzip the ResSwitch.zip file, copy the 1365VidChng.exe file on to the same folder which you extracted and then run ResSwitch.vbs.

4) you will be getting a lot of PNPDeviceIDs with the supported resolutions so that you can build a good INI file.
    hi,

Cant find the app you mentioned?? is there a link to it available.

What is the model number of the acer laptop that you have? Have you tried to install the drivers for the graphics, incase if any graphics card is there or so? I think that you need to get the latest driver from the Windows update, not the one provided for your notebook manufacturer. And then, get the latest driver for your second monitor. Without this monitor driver the Windows Vista TMM was not able to save my settings.
    Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly

Hi,
    I have the Acer Aspire 7735Z - i update windows almost every day when notified automatically as i boot up so i imagine the Acer/Vista drivers are up to date.

The dell external monitor is model:
    E170Sc

ill take a look for them

Quote Originally Posted by arejna View Post
    hi,

Cant find the app you mentioned?? is there a link to it available.
    You can check out for the "video resolution changer" on the site like softonic and fyxm, they appear to be having a download for it, just google out "video resolution changer" and download it from the sites that i have mentioned.