Thread: Should we use windows 8 metro interface or something else

Should we use windows 8 metro interface or something else

Since the windows 8 is in news I have found that there are a no of bug but then now they have fixed out the high-resolution interface issue that was with the 8 metro interface but then they have not yet fixed the same for the desktop, I don’t know why they have not fixed the same issue for the desktop, with this response it appears as if they are passing a clear message saying that we have to use the metro style interface or something else, so what do you guys think about the same???

Re: Should we use windows 8 metro interface or something else

Even I have read out that news and I have read further as well, I just wanted to share that the Windows 8 interface that is the Metro apps and the Start Screen will be having "zoom" levels as below:
    • 100% - This will be representing a 11.6-inch 1366x768 (112 PPI) display
    • 140% - This will be representing a 11.6-inch 1920x1080 (190 PPI) full HD display
    • 180% - This will be representing a 11.6-inch 2560x1440 (253 PPI) WQHD display

With this most of the desktop monitor will be fitting in to one of the above and most probably “100% - This will be representing a 11.6-inch 1366x768 (112 PPI) display”. On the other hand the 140% will be used by many laptops and tablets, I have checked out some blogs for the same news but then I have not yet found it to be mention the Desktop side and it appears as if they are still working out for it, I am not very sure about the same but then I guess so, as far as the effect is concerned the Windows 8 will be having the same effect as that of iPhone and iPad apps etc with Retina display.i also wanted to add that there is a fairly sizable difference with the Apple devices, I mean that as they are having fixed aspect ratio it is quite easy and there is no risk of graphical anomalies as the images basically have to be doubled in size (scaled 200%) on the other hand the sane case is not followed by the Windows 8, I have found that when we scale a 32x32-pixel icon by 140% then they probably end up with 44.8x44.8 because of which they have to be rounded up or down to 44 or 45 further, so if they will be fixing out this for the Desktop' users then they will be seeing little difference if they don’t have the Zoom feature. Have you tested out the beta version of windows 8?

I have not yet tested out the beta version but then I have tried using the pre beta so as to experience the touch oriented Metro screen, anyways I dint think that they will be fixing out the interface issue for the desktop soon as they are quite busy in making the Metro appear better as compared to the desktop, since now a days people love to use the zooming feature for viewing videos and pictures in full screen mode the Microsoft is just trying to make the user find out the difference when using the desktop and the Metro by not fixing out the same for desktop users. I have just checked out other article as well and have found that it is just not about the Screen Resolution and I have read there that the “Desktop users won't see any difference” but then I really don’t think the same.

Even I have been looking out for the same and I have not found the Microsoft to be discussing if the desktop will be treated differently or not anywhere, currently the windows 8 Consumer Preview is supporting the similar resolution scaling as compared to that of the Windows 7 and also the setting seems to be independent of the scaling that has been applied for the Metro applications, I really don’t think that the Windows 8 desktop is touch friendly so the difference wont matter much as it needs a pixel-perfect input device, where as with the desktop improvement in the touch friendliness and scaling will be highly desirable, it is said that they will be including multiple bitmap sizes using CSS and if it will be going to be so then there will be a lot of issues with the Web sites, just to explain the same in detail the Internet Explorer 10 on high resolution systems will be having everything scaled by 1.4 or 1.8 times, I mean the 16×16 will be scaled to 22.4×22.4 or 28.8×28.8 and this will have to rounded up as one has already mentioned above but then I think that the rounding will be causing some minor changes in the proportions of the layout. The Microsoft is recommending to use 5-pixel grid, as compared to the Apple's devices which have reached 2048×1536 Microsoft is doubling the baseline to 1366×768 which will be providing the best visual quality but then I don’t think that the 2732×1536 will be arrive soon in Windows 8's.

Even I think that the desktop monitors will be stuck at 100 PPI or say 1366×768 and they wont be coming up with 2732×1536 soon and I think that it will be so because of the below reasons:
    • The High PPI monitors are very expensive as compared to the regular PPI monitors so even if they will be coming up with High PPI monitors then most of the user won’t be buying it.
    • It is possible for the mobile screens to work with 2560x1440 at 10.1" and it is just not with apple, it is so because they can be handled which makes the task of viewing tiny pixels easy but then if the same will be done for the desktop monitor range then there will be vision limitations and we will be running in to a no if other issues as well.
    • I think that the point to be considered in the desktop is just not about increasing the pixels per element, but then allowing more elements on the screen so that one can work on 2 spreadsheets simultaneously and that too without any strain.

I really think that the motivation for the high resolution will be different for desktop and the mobile, in desktop it is about showing more content rather than lower resolution screen, where as in mobile it is about close range visual crispness and because of all this it won’t be that easy to convert screen for desktop in to screen like that of ipads and tablets.

Guys just correct me if i am wrong...
    From what i have read so far about the Win 8 Metro will be having 2 versions, where one will be for the ARM where as the others will be for x86, here the x86 version will be for the laptops and the desktops,so the needed feature is just offered for the Metro part but then not for the desktop and laptops,i just wanted to know why is it so?? is it that hard to include the same for desktop in Win 8 Metro?? do we will have to wait long for knowing why they have not chose it to be available when we will be switching to desktop mode?? is there anyone who can answer all of this questions running in my mind??