Thread: Question about Snow Leopard Installation Disk

Question about Snow Leopard Installation Disk

I have been using Snow Leopard Install Disk for my Macbook Pro and I am having a 21-inch iMac as well and I have installed OS X Lion on both of them, in my case I am having Snow Leopard installed as a partition on Macbook Pro which I have done by using install disk and now I am willing to do the same in iMac but then I am not allowed to do so because the disk is for a Macbook Pro and not imac, I just wanted to know that why it worn work, is there any other solution by which I can get it working by changing something in the package contents and so???

Re: Question about Snow Leopard Installation Disk

In that case I will like to inform you that the disk will be model locked and the reason why it is not working out in your imac is because it wont be having proper hardware support for it, just to explain the same in a bit of detail a Mid-09 MBP comes with a 10.6 disc where as a Mid-2010 iMac requires 10.6.3 for booting without panicking the kernel, if in your case the iMac had camed with lion then there are possibilities that the Snow Leopard will not work due to the changes in the hardware configuration, if you have got your iMac shipped with Lion then you are not allowed to use Snow Leopard on it as you do not have a license, apple does not follow the Microsoft's activation system and you are just allowed to use a single copy installed on a single computer, you are just not allowed to get retail 10.6 disc and then use the same for a number of systems and still stand on the right side of the license agreement, I don’t think that there would be an workaround that can help you to change something in the package contents and use it for imac.

I just wanted to share that I had got the Macbook Pro model with Snow Leopard and the Snow Leopard install disk and I had upgraded it to upgraded but then later Pro Tools was not working with Lion and I used to work on Pro Tools on daily basis, so I decided to partition my drive and put the Snow Leopard onto the same and then use both version of the OS X, I have tried doing the same with iMac but then I am not having any luck with the Snow Leopard disk as it is just not going past the Apple Logo loading screen, which i think is because of what you have mentioned above, I mean the missing hardware config elements which might be different for iMac and Macbook Pro, according to what you have said even if I will be using the legally purchased Snow Leopard install disk I will be breaching apple terms of service by installing Snow Leopard as a partition on iMac and even if I get a legal copy of Snow Leopard and then try to install Snow Leopard alongside Lion on a 2011 iMac, even then I will be breaching apple terms of service. Is it really so?? I just wanted to know that isn’t there a way to get around the issue that I am having as I am not willing to install Snow Leopard over Lion but then I am just willing to install it alongside.

See I have already mentioned that we are allowed to use a SINGLE copy of OS on single systems so if you are having that installation on Macbook Pro and if you will run the same on your iMac then you will be violating the license agreement, the imac is just having the license for running Lion only but then on Macbook Pro you can run both, if you will be getting a retail disc for 10.6 then you will be allowed to install 10.6 on the iMac if they had the hardware support, that’s the reason I am not suggesting you to try out the same as it will be just a waste of time and money, nac users are not allowed to use old copies of Mac OS X on new units.