Thread: How to reinstall an application in MAC

How to reinstall an application in MAC

Hey can anybody help me out, I am really very much helpless this issue. I know the problem seems to be quite simply but there are certain things that are stopping me from reinstalling an app on my Mac system. Actually the thing is that there was an application which I downloaded and installed from Mac app store then after the installation everything was fine but then when the app run it automatically crashed. Believing that there might have something went wrong with the installation I simply deleted the app. But now if I am trying to reinstall it, its showing me that the app is already installed into my system. When I checked the Mac app store there it says that the status is still installed and therefore due to this reason I am unable to reinstall it. I was told that if the application was purchased for an amount from Mac app store and if its not deleted then I will have to get it again by paying some amount and if the app was purchased for free then I will have to check out the application folder in order to make sure whether app is still present over there. But I personally feel that once if I have purchased an app, its not required for me to repurchase it for the installation. Please help me out and let me know whether its true or not? Also help me out with the installation, how do I reinstall the application which I recently deleted from the system.

Re: How to reinstall an application in MAC

Look I don’t think whatever have been suggested to you is correct, repurchasing of an app is not at all necessary for the installation. Not sure about Mac app store but surely this is not the way iTunes store works regarding their apps and other installation and definitely even Mac store shouldn’t be working so as both the store belongs to apple. We are supposed to pay only once and then it doesn’t matter how many times you install the application. I do have an application that I unknowingly downloaded and then also deleted. However the app showed up in the purchase section of apple store with an install icon to just let me reinstall it. The application was the one which I bought for free and didn’t pay a single penny for it. But my point is that if I found an option of reinstalling for a unpaid app then why not you are able to reinstall a paid app.

I also have a paid application installed into my system and let me tell you that this app has been till now deleted for some 4 to 5 time but each time I delete it I am also able to re download and reinstall it without any issue, the site never asked me to pay for it. Once if I have paid for the app I am sure I am not suppose to pay again if it has been deleted and not expired. Until and unless the app is expired or outdated you are not suppose to pay again for it. I hope you understand the meaning of subscription. Make sure that you contact the Apple tech support through the apple store support page.

I guess you need to visit Apple’s official site, over there you will surely find a page where they have mentioned everything about reinstalling an application if you paid for it and if it has been deleted by you due to some reason. They have clearly mentioned over there that if you have purchased the application and if you have deleted the app then you are not suppose to pay anything for it again, you simply have to use Mac App store in order to reinstall the app without even paying additional charges to your account. Not just the clarification but they have also given us the steps for reinstalling the app. If you want I can provide you with the steps for the reinstallation, just follow up the following steps:
    • Open Mac App Store, it is actually called App Store in the Applications folder and on Dock
    • Now select the Purchases view at the top of the window
    • App Store will now surely show you all the apps that you have purchased on your account
    • Just click the Install button next to any available app displayed to reinstall it on your Mac, that’s it

Remember that if you have saved a copy of any application to a removable media like an external hard drive or a file share what you need to do is to simply drag the app directly to your application folder from its storage location. Now when you will be opening the restore app first time you have to sign in with the help of your Apple ID account you have already used to purchase the app. And if still this thing didn’t helped you then you can simply get some other additional information from the Mac app Store help. What you need to do is to choose Mac > Mac App Store Help.

I have the same issue with iRatchet 3.06, I have downloaded it last month and it was working quite well without showing any problem. But the after upgrading 10.6.8 seems like the app is refusing to run anymore without any reason. But then as soon as I encountered the problem I simply called up the Tech support and explained them the issue, from the other side of the call I was suggested by them to delete certain specified file (I actually don’t remember the names of the files but I am sure that they were iRatchet related files). After delted the file I am sure that there was not even a single trace of iRatchet existing into my system or HDD. Therefore after deleting I visited the Mac app Store and the most shocking thing I found there was that the app which I completely removed from my machine was showed as still installed into it and hence I was not allowed to download it again. How come it is possible that the app is still showing as installed once when I have deleted it from the machine completely. And now when I contacted the Tech support, this time they were being really useless with some non-sense replies. Till the end they kept on asking me certain question which was nowhere related to the issue and also they were not going to help me out in any of the way. at the end the call was disconnected and I was left with no suitable answer for the issue. the only thing they kept on suggesting and offering me was paid service support. I guess they don’t have anything to suggested for such problem other than the service support.

There are people who say that the issue is not at with apple but instead its with something that is related to the users particular kit.i know that there are numerous user who even today believe that MAS works completely awesome for them. But I simply disagree with that statement, I am extremely sorry to say this but I think the issue has really something to do with apple. Instead of trying out opening a new trial account it’s better that you try out deleting an application that is downloaded from the MAS manually. Or you can also get it downloaded with something called App Zapper or by just following the developer instructions. If created then you can probably log in and then check out what exactly app store has to tell you about the concerned app status, it will say installed. It will not be available for purchase but however its installed. And now I thing we will have to try to get a solution for reinstalling or re-downloading.

I have something to say, what actually is happening in my case is that when I try to log into MAS, it not just try to check out the boot drive for the presence of any previously download App but also all connected drives, this is because the clone of the app still has the copy of the damaged application. Due to this whenever you visit the app store, unfortunately the store detects and find the damaged copy and then gives you the status as Installed. Now this thing has already been happened on almost all the Macs just because maybe all of them must have an attached cloned drives. I hope now at least must have understood the main cause of the problem and if you have really understood the main problem then the good news is that I have also got the solution for the same. For the people you got the issue; the simplest solution is to disconnect the clone and then logon to MAS, this will now help you to let the option to install getting reappeared again.

I have a mac book pro as a default main Mac at my place which runs 10.6 from the Internal HDD however I call that drive as MacHD. Other than this I also have an external drive partitioned just to boot 10.6 which I call as Snow and also 10.7 which I call Lion. Now the thing is that when I boot to either of the one i.e. snow or lion MAS shows me that all the apps are very well installed but when I do clear OS install those apps that were shown as installed are not actually the same. The question is that whether booting to either of the one snow or lion will surely continue to show all as installed as they all are visible on the MacHD. The thing is that as far as I know a software or an app is always visible at any volume which is being quite different than the startup drive and not the expected Applications or /Users/name/Applications folders that it is all I think its necessary to see that’s it. I am not sure but is it true that the app store does remembers the Mac ID, CPU ID or anything like that which is related to us and then just consider that this machine is complete.

Look if you have a TimeMachine working or some other attached drive which has the application working onto it then it might show you up as installed on MAS. Its better to dismount any of the attached External or Internal drives that are suppose to have the Application. Timemachine is suppose somehow to restore the app but if you are in a real need of reinstalling it then as already said dismount external or the additional drives. Once you are done with the dismounting then surely MAS will now be able to show up that the application is being available for download. And see to it that if it requires payment after this they you might need to stop the process and not to do the download and better clarify everything with AppleCustomer Service. If it is available to your computer in the mounted external volume, and you want it installed" on your internal hard drive, then just drag it there. It will make a copy there and thus be "installed."