Thread: Required help in installing apple tiger over panther OS

Required help in installing apple tiger over panther OS

I am, making use of mac os and it is really an well efficient operating system to run with . so presently making use of the panther os which was quite efficient but as I was willing to try with an different version of mac os, supposed installation of tiger over panther. So as I had an emac 600mhz and I supposed the installation process would be completed easily and so was installing tiger on it but I was with "kernel panic, we are hanging here." Which I don’t have an idea. I am knowing only the normal process of installation and I have previously done this on another pc but I suppose this is for the first time I am coming across this situation. So I would like your help by which I will be knowing what I am going wrong. So what is the actual process of doing so, are my system requirements the main culprit, or is it that the tiger cant be installed when you have already panther. Assist in this matter. Thanks in advance.

Re: Required help in installing apple tiger over panther OS

I suppose you are making use of Intel Mac to make an installation of tiger and with the same one it has been confirmed that you are able to install . I think you must be having an Mac OS X 10.4 install DVD. This is because you are having an emac. If you consider an retail PPC Tiger discs , they will tend to appear black with a big X on them. So here as you are interested in a fresh install of tiger , all you can use is your original system install disc, so that you will be having an fresh install of Tiger on your eMac.There are guys who suppose that it is a universal disc which runs all the operating systems but I am not sure regarding this one , but can guarantee that it must be not supporting emac.

You must be running with system requirements as the minimum system requirements for Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger are a PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor along with an Built-in FireWire and it supports 256 MB of RAM , you will also require minimum3 GB of free disk space and some 4 GB space required if you install the XCode 2 Developer Tools . also I need to ask if you have tried with what the previous post suggested. If you are having an legal copy of Tiger you must not be having any issues. You didn't download it or anything? Or the copy which you have currently came with another computer? Also if it is an Retail copy, dude it is not possible? If not is it an developer copy?and what type of install you are trying for , can you be more specific.

I had a guy which was having the copy of the DVD that came with another iBook though. And he was trying to make an similar install, so if this is the similar case then you better make a note of one thing that you are only licensed to use the bundled disks with the system they were packaged for as well as there are some measures which apple implemented to stop you doing an install. but , there is a case if you buy one copy of tiger, you are able to install it on as many Macs as you wish for. It also comes in view that the disk only contains the related settings for the precise system it came with so attempting to get a G4 iBook disk working on an iMac and this will not have correct drivers etc.

If you are concerning regarding the installation process, here is what I will provide you with as this was the same case as I was getting 'Installing Mac OS X' dialog box. It also said 'Preparing for installation' . but I was getting through the process , I was getting a 'There are errors installing this software. Please try again.' then made another attempts that it would solve later but after running the software several times , I was with the same result. And I was supposing that this occurred due to some files missing and I was also with an system crash. But later I found some solution in this matter and if you are also concerned to the same issue, all you need to check in the setup there will be a Customize button at the bottom left. choose that and select "Archive and Install". If that does not solve your issue , you might run Disk Utility on the destination. You need to perform this by starting from the Install DVD. And if that does not help, you may be able to have a fix over Disk Warrior as this may fix your issue. Also I made some attempts to check the system requirements and the first thing I notice is that you have very little memory space . Tiger is a memory hog, and I consider 512 MB is minimum, along with 1 GB is suggested. Panther as well as Tiger have both been extremely intolerant of slightly out of requirement memory during the installation. at times the memory can be replaced when the installation is completed and will work very well. But at the time of installation, the offending stick must be removed.so after checking this one try with the installation. In this matter, are you trying to overlay the Tiger install on top of the OS9 partition? And if this is the case, you may require to upgrade to 9.2.2, which is necessary for Classic. If you are having a clean install of Tiger in separate partition, that is another case. If you specify more as exactly what you are trying to do will assist us to know and help further.

One trick you could attempt is to boot from the hard drive, insert the mac OS and then make an installation of the disk. After its mounting , you need to move in the "System Preferences" and click on startup disk you require to be select either DVD or Hard drive . make sure regarding this one regarding how the Cube operates under OS9 has nothing to do with how it will act in response to the OSX installation procedure. Having fine memory is vital to the OSX install procedure, and if the memory is bad or else inadequate, the installation will suspend. There will be tales of people having to locate and get rid of the offending memory stick. They could regularly put back the memory stick after the OSX installation with no ill consequences. If you are memory starved to begin with, removing memory is not probable. This is the most ordinary difficulty reported in installing Tiger, so you should first make sure regarding the requirements. And after checking I would advise you booting off an external drive with OS X installed might be an informative trial.so you can try with that one. Hope you would find this one to be helpful.

One other alternative would be to clone the accessible HD to an external Firewire hard drive, then make an clean installation of the Tiger on the Mac. At the time of initial startup in Tiger, the Migration Assistant will begin in addition to this , it will ask if you wish for to copy your stuff over from your previous Mac. If you answer positevely, it will then instruct you to attach your previous Mac to the fresh one by means of Firewire; at this time, you need to attach the hard drive holding the cloned image along with the Migration Assistant will copy over all of the settings/apps, as if you had the previous Mac which you have attached. All it's really looking for is Mac formatted drive, not actually any hardware as it implies. It really works great. There might be an application or two that you will require to moreover reinstall or else reactivate but it will copy all of the user data, along with applications, preferences and there will be no issues at all.