Thread: Mac OS X 10.2.8 running on old Apple PowerBook G4

Mac OS X 10.2.8 running on old Apple PowerBook G4

I don’t know whether anyone else using it or not over there but here I am running it perfectly. Yes. I am talking about the old Apple PowerBook G4 and it is running Mac OS X 10.2.8. I have installed it successfully on Mac and running it from the past one year and it is still working. You don’t need to do any kind of hardware upgrade on it. My system has a 1GHz processor and 512 MB RAM, and I don’t see more performance issue in that. If anyone is getting problem with this, please put a reply below this post so that I could help. While posting please be brief otherwise it would be hard to tell a solution.

Re: Mac OS X 10.2.8 running on old Apple PowerBook G4

Your version is Mac OS X Jaguar (10.2) free upgrades for the jaguar are up to version 10.2.8 you have. Then came out to pay Mac OS X Panther (10.3) which came free updates until 10.3.9, while the latter system is released Tiger (10.4) to 129 € you can buy and when to get the update 10.4.8. And then the Snow Leopard (10.5), which probably cost as much as Tiger. To update the system after buying the new version you have 3 options:
    • Erase and Install (delete all your data and install)
    • Archive and install (you do not lose your data, but the system is completely replaced. I recommend it, now that he is made a copy)
    • Update (update system)

There are gray system discs that were not just bound hardware but actually to install at least on several machines of similar design. I have OS 9 and OS 10.4 version here. If a system disc is hardware bound actually is, while trying to install it on another Mac as an error message appears stating that the version on this Mac cannot be installed. When the loading bar will hang it will not be an indication of an incorrect system disc. Rather, I would suspect a hardware problem here is about the hard drive. The password might be changed in System Preferences. If it is not trying to boot from the CD (C key at boot time or hold ALT and hold to enter the boot selection). There you will then have a function that you can find in the top menu bar, to reset the password. I would recommend update the system to 10.4, because you will not find a lot of software that will run on 10.2. But the Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger needs at least least 512MB RAM or 1GB more RAM. In addition, OS X version 10.3 was optimized so that it is generally fluid on old Macs than the versions to 10.2, which is clearly noticeable.

I also have a PowerBook G4 Titanium 1GHz. This thing needs a specific OS 9.2.2. The reason is, the hardware-side characteristics of Ti-books are not implemented, well for this series, so Apple has brought out a special version that was shipped exclusively with these PowerBooks. The later books, which can only run in Classic mode, in turn, have a 9.2.2 version that is not compatible with the Ti-books. The original DVDs started with 10.2.1 and 9.2.2. Mine PowerBook G4 (1GHz/867MHz) had 10.2.3. I just made an update to 10.2.8. It also works with 10.4, final version. However, I need only 9.2.2, nostalgic for the games that run on Intel now no more. There are some MAC OS versions running exclusively on the Titanium Powerbook series:
    • PowerBook G4, codenamed Mercury
    • Gigabit Ethernet PowerBook G4, codenamed Onyx, P25
    • PowerBook G4 DVI, Codename: Ivory
    • PowerBook G4 1 GHz/867 MHz Codename: Antimony, P88

I have lot of experience with Mac OS X 10.2.8. It enhances the functionality and reliability. The update also offers enhanced security and provides the latest updates in security. This update does not work on G5 systems. 10.2.8 This version takes into account what's new from previous versions:
    • Improved audio and digital Hub
    • Improvement in Device Management
    • Better management of modems and network
    • Improved Mail and Address Book
    • Improved compatibility with certain applications

Improved functionality and more reliable applications and technologies: iChat, IP Firewall, Print Center, Rendezvous, and Sherlock search for Windows file services

Mac OS X v10.2 is different. It combines the robustness and reliability of UNIX with the ease of use. This new version makes the computer innovative on which it operates. Whether you're a Mac enthusiast, a Windows client that wants to go Mac or a UNIX user who wishes to use key applications like Microsoft Office, this OS is for you. It contains over 150 new highlights, including an instant messaging client compatible with AOL, which allows you to filter spam, a new Address Book to access contacts at all levels and a feature rich search engine. It also includes QuickTime 6, the multimedia standard that supports MPEG-4. Quartz Extreme graphics engine that takes advantage of hardware acceleration to provide you with 2D and 3D capabilities breathtaking. But also a much improved Finder, including through its files to open automatically. Rendezvous, a revolutionary technology that allows you to instantly create a network of computers and peripherals. Not to mention the cohort of features and capabilities that UNIX users should fill the most demanding.

A very important before and after upgrading to 10.2.8 should do an fsck and repair permissions to prevent a disaster. To make the fsck must do the following: boot your computer and when you hear the startup sound press apple and S keys, you will come out in something like the boot screen of a PC (do not panic) write this:
    Code:
    / Sbin / fsck-y if 10.2    

or: 

/ Sbin / fsck-fy if is 10.3
    And after you repair permissions from applications / utilities / disk utility. It is sometime necessary to rely on the older version of Systems and OS. There could be several reasons for that. Some wants certain programs for special needs and they don’t want to upgrade since they are convenient and very much familiar with it.