Thread: After installation of mac lion os, PowerPC Applications are no longer supported .

After installation of mac lion os, PowerPC Applications are no longer supported .

I upgrade from my windows xp to Mac OS X Lion to try with different applications as I was new to this one, and when you open Photoshop CS4 or CS3 after upgrading to Mac OS X Lion I was having an following error:
    “PowerPC applications are no longer supported.” Why would Apple do this? I am also not understanding the fact why they are they are forcing me to buy new software. I having some doubts whether a Mac Pro supposed to handle these applications or not? Why would they make an OS like this? Please inform me that I am doing something incorrect here as well as Apple is not costing me a fortune in latest software.

re: After installation of mac lion os, PowerPC Applications are no longer supported .

According to me, as found on net , it has been clear that this error occurs mainly in Photoshop and CS4 or CS3 on Mac OS (Lion) , it is also said by the previous post regarding the same . so you need to try this one.
    You will require to run the attached script to turn off the preference to launch Photoshop in Rosetta.
    1. First of all , you need to Quit Photoshop.
    2. Then you will require to Ctrl+click the attached file, and save it to your Desktop.
    3. Then Double-click the downloaded file to unzip it.
    4. You will require to double-click the unzipped file: Remove_Launch_Pref.app to run the script.
    5. Restart the system and then reopen Photoshop.
    In addition it is also said that the script removes the preference file (com.apple.LaunchServices.plist) which sets Photoshop to run in Rosetta. After you will have a restart your system and reopen Photoshop, it runs in 64-bit mode.
    If you make use of previous plug-ins or other characteristics that can only be accessed when Photoshop runs in 32-bit mode, you need to then select the Adobe Photoshop CS4 or CS3.app file which will present under the Applications/Adobe Photoshop [CS4/CS3] folder, and select File moving further to Get Info, and choose Open in 32-bit Mode. This will work definitely.

re: After installation of mac lion os, PowerPC Applications are no longer supported .

So I tried this way as I made an installation of 10.6 over a working 10.7 and for this I was with a new MacBook Pro and all I did was didn’t erasing anything as I thought it was casing the issue . It did not insist that I had to in some way remove 10.7 initially. It installed 10.6.7 and then made an update of it, with only two particularly minor problems that I have found that I had to re-set Date&Time as the Time Zone Preferences were all lost and I had to reset Appearance Preferences. I later made a check of the webpages for your software tools and it was all fine and it was working well. My friend with the same issue and he was suggested not to perform a boot camp by experts you do not want or need Boot Camp (Assistant). And this has came to me that Disk Utilty will do just fine. But regarding the Mac with 4 internal drive bays. You can try with clean install Lion and leave 10.6.8 drive 'well enough alone' you can import also with Setup Assistant afterward. And have your dual or triple boot.

According to me, it has been seen that the Lion Server running Snow Leopard client VMs which would run Rosetta in their own little sandbox. And there was a dead end after the Carbon transition from OS to OS X, and it resulted in this severe case. In addition there were several extreme cases where the transition from the G5 to Mac Pro and Intel had some issues.

After you have made an upgrade you will come to see that the Some older applications like Rosetta will not work . a and to tell regarding the Rosetta it allows the applications developed for PowerPC hardware to productively run on Intel-based systems and it has been developed and provided by Apple which is a simple piece of software. basically, previous applications are running on Intel Macs under emulation. And regarding the Emulation, it is a fancy way of saying that the Intel Mac acts as if that it is a PowerPC while running the application. And if you come across such situation there will be an icon which will be notified to you that the particular application is not supporting it. And I suppose at the time of launching a PowerPC application under Lion, you will obtain a message after launching the Disk Inventory X. and as you are concerned to the power Pc applications they are generally older applications which are built specifically for the RISC architecture.there are also many such applications other than the power pc applicatison which are Intel and the Universal .

I need to add regarding the Universal applicatisons as, the Universal binaries were all supported by the OS X. and these were applications that could be run on PowerPC with Intel hardware. They included the executables for both architectures jointly in one package . Although suitable, the executables are extremely large because they contain all you required to run in the environment. It was seen by me later that the applications which are no longer supported don’t tend to appear in Launchpad. And for selecting applications to execute, they made a use of Apple’s new interface which was the Launchpad . It is obviously derived from the interface of the iPhone as well as iPad and it permits you to swipe through pages of applications by making use of gestures.Applications such as FreeMind, Disk Inventory X, s and along with Open XML Microsoft Office tools are no longer supported. as there was no solution which I find whether the application is supporting or not and later came into appearance that the easiest way to find is by the way of System Profiler. In the Applications/Utilities folder which is called as System Information.app, you are able to run a graphical version of the system profiler.

So I will suggest you to bring up a terminal window and you need to execute :
    Code:
    system_profiler SPApplicationsDataType > List.txt
    this file will contain information concerning all of your installed applications and it can be found in the current directory of yours. And if you are concerned to the applications which aren’t supported and for supported applications, the type will either be “Intel” or “Universal”.

So I was also having similar issues and it has been seen that anything listed as “PowerPC” will not run in 10.7 Lion. And applications such as Intel along with Universal apps will run just well. If you are totally dependent on one of these PPC apps, you might want to attempt a dual boot OS X 10.6 and 10.7 configuration, or else just, you need to skip upgrading to Lion until a Lion-compatible version of that application is made obtainable.
    There should be no compatibility issues as if you move in the System Profiler and it comes into view that none of your apps are listed as PowerPC. You need to check your current Mac OS X Lion system requirements if you as it is seen that you require a 64-bit processor they are fairly compatible. In addition you can also check to see if actively running applications are PowerPC by using Activity Monitor.
    I have found some more steps which will be useful as for incompatible applications, all you are looking for is the “PowerPC” designation, here’s the simple means to get a list of these installed on your Mac:
    • You first of all , need to launch System Profiler from Spotlight or hold down Option and then the Apple menu along with the System Profiler.
    • You will have to locate the “Software” menu present on the left side Contents list.
    • then click on “Applications”
    • You will require to then Click on “Kind” to sort your installed applications by architecture type, and then scroll through the list until you observe “PowerPC”.

I will add in this discussion as I made an update of the OS for my mac pro to Lion OS as I thought this issue of PC applications will be resolved. I was using a program to protect my files with a password. But at the time of opening these files I was with a message which stated that "You can't open the

application because PowerPC applications are no longer supported" I really require to open the files as well as the I came into view that the lock app was found to be missing in the applications folder . so I was really not knowing regarding this case and i really required some help. But later I found an article on google regarding the same case and he was saying that the only way you can get it back is by putting Snow Leopard back on, or else finding an updated version of the software you are using which runs on intel macs. He as well recommend to make use of SheepShaver and founding some information regarding it , it came into my view that it is a MacOS run-time environment for BeOS along with Linux which permits you to run classic MacOS applications within the BeOS/Linux multitasking background. In short it is a powerpc emulator.so you can make a try for that.

Regarding the program I would need to specify that such programs are written to run on the previous Mac OS. It will not tend to run on existing OS X as well as you no longer have access to the files. The issue with such programs is that they are reliant on unique security ids,along with some parts of the OS, and there may be a possibility that they also reply on hardware identifiers. Any of these can modify when you alter the OS and this would make any password you used invalid. normally they as well enclose the file with additional data or else even encrypt them. So after this I was searching for a program which made some of my program s such as Office 2004 compatible with Lion and I found that it would be easy if you installed a virtual machine as well as a powerPC emulator such as sheep shaver. And for a program such as office 2004 , it was advised that I upgrade to Office 2011. It was also said that using OpenOffice or NeoOffice will be useful until you're able to save up the cash.

It was mentioned in some earlier posts regarding the same which I try to say but according to the sources, the most significant thing to check initially is to check first concerning an application, “What kind of application is it? ” as it ha s been found that there are normally PowerPC Universal, and Intel types of applications to be concerned about: PowerPC, Universal, and Intel.

PowerPC requires Rosetta and it has ben built in a way so that it will not run on OS X Lion. The other two Universal and Intel are well and they tend to be compatible with the OS X Lion which differ totally from the OS X lion. It will be best option for you if you are using an Intel based Mac and you are using Intel as an option. The Universal type comprise Intel and PowerPC support, but the latter can make the application bloated as well as the redundant PowerPC edition of the application on your Mac does not occupy enough space and due to this there is wasting of disk space.
    You are also able to manually check each of your applications and for this you will require to click on its icon once to choose it and pressing CMD+I. You’ll observe a window open in Finder and you need to expand the General section if desired and look for “Kind.” It will come into view that the gpsWrite applications is PowerPC the only one which will not work on OS X Lion. After there was a successful installation of OS X Lion the icon for gpsWrite was turned into a “tombstone” . and I will say that the only solution for people with the desire to upgrade to OS X Lion and retain their Rosetta applications . you can try with the following if you are having enough knowledge regarding the skills, so If you are an advanced user and familiar with the Unix shell on your Mac you can try the command by opening the Terminal and enter the command.
    Code:
    system_profiler SPApplicationsDataType >~/Desktop/MyFileTypes.txt
    and after this one, you will be having adequate information regarding the applications which is installed on your Mac by creating a text file on your Desktop then you need to open the document called MyFileTypes.txt present in the favorite text editor and search for the word “PowerPC” and each one of these will need Rosetta hold up in order to perform. In addition it is also said by the apple that until you don’t find an alternative for any other application , there is no requirement of upgrading. Apple has allegedly loosened the rules regarding virtualization of OS X to comprise the client account of OS X Lion. The server edition of Mac OS X Snow Leopard has had the aptitude to be virtualized under Fusion or Parallels for a little bit. It isn’t obvious if this aptitude to virtualize OS X will cover the client version of Mac OS X Snow Leopard or not. And if this is the case then you would be able to make use of virtualization on OS X Lion so that you are able to run Snow Leopard in order to get some additional mileage out of your apps that need Rosetta. Also apple has offered the rosetta and PowerPC support on Intel architecture machines for a couple of years.