Thread: Mac OS 9.2 freezes on Digital Audio when loading Desktop

Mac OS 9.2 freezes on Digital Audio when loading Desktop

My colleagues have been giving away their G4 PowerMacs because they have become so old. I have much experience with Macs because I have been using them from the past 8 years. For that reason I took all their system to increase my computing productivity. Actually I took only G4 Digital Audio because I like their specs such as 733 MHz processor and 512 mb of RAM. There as not airport card. I want to make all these systems into a dedicated Mac OS 9 system. So I bought OS 9.2 install disk to reformat HD and install operating system. Successfully I completed the installation and restarted the system. The system boot but the system gets freeze as soon as the Desktop loads. Freeze means, only the mouse pointer moves. If click on anything there is no response either from the mouse and keyboard. It seems like something went really bad. I can’t tell what us causing the problem?

Re: Mac OS 9.2 freezes on Digital Audio when loading Desktop

I am looking around with many extensions; I am just assuming that something has to do with this otherwise it could be the faulty internal battery. The PowerPlug conflict and problem with ATI extensions also cause to freeze. If you have dedicated graphics card, just remove it and then try to boot. First thing to do is to zap the PRAM: Start the System by holding down the keys "apple", "alt", "P" and "R", released after that you have heard at least three times the startup sound. If still the system freezes, then the second thing you can try is Start by holding a Shift key (Shift unlocked) until the appearance of the message "Starting up in Safe Mode".

I assume that your computer stops responding ("freezes") at the startup process. This usually occurs when the AppleShare IP Servers acting as Macintosh Manager Servers. I mean it can happen in most of the system which is using HDD and it is initialized using the version of Drive Setup utility with Mac OS 9.0 through 9.0.4. This issue can also happen when there are very large number of files reside and no space for system or apps to load its cache. For this, there is a only solution. You have to Repair the affected volume by the use of Disk First Aid version 8.6 or the latest one. I assume that you have reinitialized the HDD by the use of Erase Disk option in the Special menu. You can get Disk First Aid 8.6.1 from document 75102: "Disk First Aid 8.6.1: Software and Information"

It looks like an essential file in Mac OS 9 should be damaged. The easiest way is to reinstall Mac OS 9.2.2, unless you can boot this Mac in "target" and access its hard drive from another Mac. If this is the case, and the other Mac can boot into OS 9, will first try to rebuild the desktop of the Mac's hard drive that no longer wants to start. If it's still not enough, or if the other Mac cannot boot into OS9, Go to the “Preferences" folder in the system and create an empty one in its place. If the Mac restarts normally, you will have to look into this matter which preference system related problem, otherwise it will have to re-install.

Well, I am using a very old iMac G3

Few days back it was running Mac OS 8.6. Yesterday I planned to install the Mac OS 9.2. Through the FTP I have got the Mac OS 9.2 installer. I burned it to disc using Transmac. But later, while booting I have found that the disc image is not longer bootable. For that reason I directly launched the installer file in Mac OS 8.6. At first it comes up with a splash logo but then the system go freeze. I tried to disable all extensions running but it didn’t make any changes. Do you have any solution?

I posted here just hoping that in both cases it is a safe OS but the system is different. So I don’t think that it does matter since a platform is same.

As far as I know that most people have managed to port MAC OS 9.2 on older Macs and they are still working fine. You might need to do little investment on upgrade during that process but there is hope of installation and function. You might need to replace the older drive with new one in order to load and run OS 9.2. If you still not able to install or run Windows Os 9, then add some more RAM to the system board. I think that there are total 2 to 3 slots for RAM. In that one must be still empty. You can add one more module on it. If there are already 2 RAM sticks, try to swap them. Also try to troubleshoot the dead unit.