Thread: Is it possible to use Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows 8 Consumer Preview?

Is it possible to use Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows 8 Consumer Preview?

As i can’t find this on any other forums , I would like to ask you guys as are you able to make a good use of Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows 8 Consumer Preview. So I suppose that the Microsoft Security Essentials will benefit me a lot in my case and the use in windows 8 consumer preview will be great one. So there are cases where I guess it is not supported , so I just need to confirm this. Thanks in advance.

Re: Is it possible to use Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows 8 Consumer Preview?

Your supposition is right as the Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 8 Consumer Preview are not supported and it comes with Windows Defender, which has been enhanced in Windows 8 so that it is able to provide the identical level of malware defense as Microsoft Security Essentials. You do not require to make an installation of Microsoft Security Essentials and it will not tend to labor with Windows 8. Microsoft will carry on to offer as well as advance Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 7, Windows Vista, along with Windows XP. If you are upgrading to Windows 8 Consumer Preview, you should make an uninstallation of Microsoft Security Essentials initially.

Re: Is it possible to use Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows 8 Consumer Preview?

Microsoft has integrated the Windows Defender as well as MSE in one package. So it has been confirmed that the Windows Defender will not only defend users from spyware but it will be concerned of bugs as well as other malware as well. MSE is not compatible as well as, though it would install on the previous versions of Windows 8, no longer will simply since it's overkill, consequently Microsoft have blocked it. Windows 8 Defender includes antivirus, a la MSE, so there is no requirement for MSE. And it has earlier also said as If you have MSE installed in the Consumer Preview then you should make an uninstallation of it as it possibly could reason issues.

Windows 8 Developer Preview appears with the latest MSE which is renamed to the older name Windows Defender. Under the Action center's virus section, it will tend to say that the Windows Defender is the provider. If you seem at the name of the executable file of the Windows Defender in task manager, it will tend to say MsMpEng.exe, which is similar as the Security Essentials. And there is no requirement to make an install of the old MSE on the developer preview for virus protection. In addition, Microsoft have issued a KB which places a hard block on the installation of MSE on the Windows 8 Consumer Preview. And according to this statement , it would suggest that it conflicts with the built-in Windows Defender, and that MSE is redundant.

I need to add some more information which will prove to be more helpful and clear all your doubts. So for anyone downloading the Consumer Preview of Windows 8, it includes an expanded Windows Defender. If we consider the windows Vista and Windows 7, the included Windows Defender is simply an antispyware product which can be disabled, but it can’t be removed. On XP, it is the similar - antispyware only, but it requires to be downloaded as well as installed.

Microsoft Security Essentials will tend to remove the Windows Defender from XP along with it will also disable it on Vista as well as Windows 7. That is to avoid a conflict. MSE includes the protection of Windows Defender along with comprises full antivirus protection.The program called Windows Defender in Windows 8 is in fact a edition of Microsoft Security Essentials and according to it, it tends to offer full antivirus and antispyware support. You are not able to make an install of Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 8 (nor should you attempt).You are however able to make an selection of a different antivirus program for Windows 8, but Windows Defender should be disabled.So, if you decide to attempt Windows 8, do not attempt to install Microsoft Security Essentials.

As this topic continues, I need to add my opinion. To further confuse things, there is a beta program which is available which is called as Windows Defender Offline. And according to the sources , it is a downloadable program which is meant to be used to create a bootable CD/DVD or else USB flash drive. You would download this to an uninfected computer so that the utility is able to create the bootable media. This will tend to permit you to boot the infected computer without starting Windows, as a result that the tool, Windows Defender Offline, is able to scan in addition to clean malware from your system. It is a beta, meaning it is not a concluding release and can have issues. For instance, it will clean the Alureon family of malware, comprising root kit components, but it often causes to be the PC unbootable until you then make use of additional tools to repair the Master Boot Record.