Thread: How to legally get a replacement disc in place of Lost Windows Disc

How to legally get a replacement disc in place of Lost Windows Disc

I need help to find solution of getting a replacement of Windows disc if the original is lost of not available. How can I do that legally. I do not want to go for any piracy methods. I have my friends and some relative. Some of them received a bootable disc which is lost now. Some of them didn't as they have a hidden partition of recovery. Now I need a common solution for both. What to do if due to some issue my Windows installation is lost. Its a legal operating system and going for a pirated is not a good choice. What are the options does manufacturers provide us in this matter.

Re: How to legally get a replacement disc in place of Lost Windows Disc

There is a solution for that I think. But it depends on manufacturer. If Microsoft allows a another copy of Windows disc then only you can apply for. I had seen on websites like Dell which offer you a replacement for the same on nominal fee.

Before when you purchase a laptop you get a kit of disc with the laptop which consist of all software and operating system you need. Now they had discontinued the same and they stuff all of them in a hidden partition. Many of us are never aware what to do from it. My friend just purchased a laptop which comes with the same support. Now he had forget to make a recovery disk and his laptop is not working. He has no option than formatting it and use any other copy of Windows. In my views a end users cannot pay attention about the software and operating system backup involved in a laptop purchase nor he is aware about day to day threats. Manufacturers just want the end user should create the backup media. What to do if any one does not knows how to do that. So if there is fault they will charge you. They are just for earning money not helping the consumer to get maximum benefit. Also do not forget that they the replacement disk are limited. So if all those are sold the same is discontinued and you do not have option other than going for a original Windows setup. That is the reason many people prefer to go for pirated system.

Going for a pirated is not a good choice. What I know about dell that they provide you a replacement media in case of loss. You need to request the backup disk from dell site and pay them the disk and shipping charges. That is well and good. I will recommend you to backup your system when you purchase that by using the Recovery manager tool provided in the laptop. Or else go on dell site provide information of your laptop or system and order a backup media.

The process is different for every manufacturer. For example HP. If you have a laptop which is not really very old you can ask for an recovery disk. Hp offer the recovery disc on reasonable rate which is available easily. Even if you are lucky for some of the most older model you can find the backup disk. You have to just surf in the Recovery Media section of HP where you can find the suitable operating system for your laptop model. But if you can't locate that then you can try finding the same on other websites also. There are some sites which offer recovery solution for hp and other laptops. Many disc are set on auction. But remember that this recovery stuff are not from the official manufacturer so there are chances that some of it might not at all work with your system. Just avoid taking chance if you are not sure that the disc is valid.