Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Windows 7 "Send To"

Operating Systems


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-04-2012
DHR DHR is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19
Windows 7 "Send To"
  

Windows 7's Send To isn't "programmable." I mean I can't manipulate it like XP. In XP I found the folder and put more destinations in it, including File Folders and programs. Seven's just has a few destinations. Where's the folder?

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-04-2012
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,260
Re: Windows 7 "Send To"

You can alternative type in explorer address bar shell:sendto and it will open send to folder. Users\yourusername \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-04-2012
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1
Re: Windows 7 "Send To"

I have a Dell inspiron 1545 in I cant get in cuz I forgot tha administrator password but I have tha otha password

The service tag is gtlx7h1-595b
Express service code is 36618857749
Hard-disk number xey08p1j961-595b

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-04-2012
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,932
Re: Windows 7 "Send To"

If it is your laptop then there are two things you can try. I am assuming that you forget Windows administrator password. There are two methods you can try. First opening up the laptop and removing the cmos battery and putting it back again. Second there is a bootable disc called as ophcrack. You can boot your laptop with this disc. It will show up Windows password. It is good for password recovery.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-04-2012
DHR DHR is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19
Re: Windows 7 "Send To"

Hey, I'll try it. I haven't actually installed Windows 7 yet. Old board can't handle it. But want to be ready. Maybe I'll be able to do it at work where my PC has 7. Thanks.

It works in XP, sure enough.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 18-08-2012
DHR DHR is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19
Re: Windows 7 "Send To"

I appreciated the answer. At the time I didn't yet have Windows 7--just planning on it. Now I have installed "7"

Having limited success. I've put Notebook and Media Player in "Sendto" and they work. I've put Word and Excel and they don't show up when I right click and "send to." And I haven't a clue how to put a folder there.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18-08-2012
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,260
Re: Windows 7 "Send To"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHR View Post
I appreciated the answer. At the time I didn't yet have Windows 7--just planning on it. Now I have installed "7"

Having limited success. I've put Notebook and Media Player in "Sendto" and they work. I've put Word and Excel and they don't show up when I right click and "send to." And I haven't a clue how to put a folder there.

Any ideas?
Which version of the Microsoft Office are you using? Try the FixIT method suggested for the issue "The "E-mail" command is missing or is unavailable in Excel 2007, in PowerPoint 2007, or in Word 2007" from here and see if it works out.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 18-08-2012
DHR DHR is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19
Re: Windows 7 "Send To"

Guess I didn't make myself clear. Problem--as I see it--is with the "Send To" command in the menu that pops up when one right-clicks on a file in File Explorer. The choices Microsoft provides are meager. In XP I was able to put programs and even folders (called "directories" to us old timers). Your answer to my query some time ago explained how to find "Send to" in Windows 7. I've added Notebook and Media Player shortcuts and they work. I've added Word & Excel shortcuts but they dont' work.

No idea how to get folders into Send To, either.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 18-08-2012
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,719
Re: Windows 7 "Send To"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHR View Post
Guess I didn't make myself clear. Problem--as I see it--is with the "Send To" command in the menu that pops up when one right-clicks on a file in File Explorer. The choices Microsoft provides are meager. In XP I was able to put programs and even folders (called "directories" to us old timers). Your answer to my query some time ago explained how to find "Send to" in Windows 7. I've added Notebook and Media Player shortcuts and they work. I've added Word & Excel shortcuts but they dont' work.

No idea how to get folders into Send To, either.
Well, does the below method works for you:
  1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Microsoft Office, and then point to the Microsoft Office program for which you want to create a desktop shortcut.
  2. Right-click the name of the program, point to Send To, and then click Desktop (Create shortcut). A shortcut for the program appears on your desktop.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 18-08-2012
DHR DHR is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19
Re: Windows 7 "Send To"

Thanks for taking time to answer but what I want is what I could do in XP: Have Word, Excel, etc. and Folders appear in the "Send To" options. Windows 7 provides these in Send to: Compressed ..., Desktop ..., Documents, Fax Recipients, etc.

I've successfully added Notebook, Windows Media Player, and RealPlayer.

The Word and Excel shortcuts appear in the Send To folder (C:\Users\DHR\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo) and they work if opened there but they don't even appear in the Send To feature, so I cant' send anything to them. That's the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 20-08-2012
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 500
Re: Windows 7 "Send To"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHR View Post
Thanks for taking time to answer but what I want is what I could do in XP: Have Word, Excel, etc. and Folders appear in the "Send To" options. Windows 7 provides these in Send to: Compressed ..., Desktop ..., Documents, Fax Recipients, etc.

I've successfully added Notebook, Windows Media Player, and RealPlayer.

The Word and Excel shortcuts appear in the Send To folder (C:\Users\DHR\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo) and they work if opened there but they don't even appear in the Send To feature, so I cant' send anything to them. That's the problem.
You can try to make an item in the Send To list that is termed “Modify This Menu”. After that create it like a batch file that can execute “explorer.exe %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo”. Hope that helps you out.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 21-08-2012
DHR DHR is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19
Re: Windows 7 "Send To"

We're on the same page now. I hope I can do what you've suggested!

I'll say this: Windows drops perfectly good features in pursuit of new ones.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Windows 7 "Send To""
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"send page by email" and "send link by email" disabled in Internet Explorer 8 Bindaas-ER Technology & Internet 4 27-02-2011 03:32 AM
Windows Live Mail: "Unable to send or receive messages for the Windows Live Hotmail account" Error ID: 0x80048849 DeepikaP Technology & Internet 5 18-01-2011 03:24 AM
Windows Mail "send" error message - need help to repair Lupin Windows Vista Mail 2 23-08-2009 04:54 PM
Windows 7 Hidden "Send To" Menu SmirnOFF Tips & Tweaks 1 13-03-2009 12:17 PM
Customize Windows Vista "Send To" menu Jackie Customize Desktop 1 10-02-2009 07:33 PM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:14 PM.